Honored Contributor

Re: What happens when IT freezes Walmart

It seems like the world wants to get us to the point where no cash is involved.  So, unless they invent better systems, I guess this will happen now and then.  I pretty much still use cash when I am out shopping.   

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

Of course, it’s a good idea to carry some cash on your person.

But after an experience of no power during a time of massive hurricane damage a number of years ago, we had a wake-up call.  Lack of power for days, cell towers down, and even land lines not working.  Gas stations had gas but no electricity to pump.  Trees were down everywhere, blocking many roads.  

We we relied on our “emergency radio” for news, gas grill for heating some food, etc.  When it was all over, we bought a generator, and we are able to safely store some gas.  We never let our cars get low on gas.  We do keep a certain amount of money, in small bills, ready for emergency use.  Back-up meds to last a while.  A supply of emergency food.

And we both feel better keeping our land line, as it is likely the last to go.  

We do have a pellet stove in our FR fireplace, with a stock of pellets in our garage for heat.  I have a feeling our home would be shelter to many others, if they could get here.

Trusted Contributor

I don't pay much attention to what other people do, but recently I was made aware that most of my family and friends don't carry cash.  Those that do are around my age.  I guess I've been living under a rock.  I don't know why people want to add expenses to their credit cards.  Big purchases I get, but not small ones.  And I still don't have a debit card since a lot of people I know have had them hacked.  Yeah, the bank makes good, but the aggravation isn't worth it in my opinion.  I'm not behind the times since I pay almost everything online.  Still have a checkbook but don't write many checks anymore.  I just prefer to pay in store purchases with cash.  Call me weird or smart.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SunValley wrote:

At 1:00 this afternoon half-way through my Saturday shopping trip at Walmart the PA system announcer tells us the host server is down, no debit or credit card processing was possible, not even checks, and only cash transactions can be accepted. There was a run for the ATM and it was emptied within minutes. Carts were abandoned everywhere throughout the store and many were filled with freezer and refrigerated foods that had to put away. Lots of cash registers crashed partway through the process and were frozen till they could be rebooted to even take cash. We're a college town with a home game tonight so the store was packed with folks buying gear, drinks and party food. It was a mess.

It was a stark reminder of how merchants and customers are not used to dealing with cash transactions and how vulnerable we are to crashed servers. I can remember the days of no debit or credit cards, and to see the chaos from having to use cash only was quite a reminder of how our finances have so little to do with actually handling money.

@SunValley 

This happened at Dillards at a mall a few months ago, power went out....system went down and they wouldnt let people leave the store....(shoplifting and all I guess)....not even cash transactions were accepted...Thankfully everything was restored in about 15 minutes....but it was a long 15 minutes.... 

I loved the story ESPN's Mike Golic told...he went to a fast food chain to get breakfast and just like Walmart their server had a outage...CASH ONLY....and the guy behind the counter didn't know how to calculate the change Mike had coming back from a $20 bill....so Mike had to do the math for him.....SMH!!! 

All these incidents just show how society is becoming more and more dependent on technology....and when it doesn't work right...CHAOS RESULTS.....kinda scary....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

We pay cash for all groceries.  We seldom eat out but usually pay cash if we do.

We also pay cash for all household goods, too, at a different market.

Even paying cash if the system shuts down, there would be no scanning and your groceries would not be rung up.  Since everything is barcoded and no price stickers on anything anymore, cash wouldn't always be useful in those situations.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@SurferWife 

So funny!

DH always has lots of cash, and I have to remind myself to keep a $20 bill on hand.  He's always got hundreds!

I'm going to use your line on him soon.  He laughed when I told him Cat Happy

Valued Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

I had a similar experience at our local Target last week. I left my items and assured them I would return. When I did, the clerk gave me a free soda that was part of my purchase and was very apologetic. I am scratching my head after reading this post. Something is amiss...

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Yes, there certainly was something amiss...the connection to their card services interface.

Why does it seem that posts are always questioned on here?  Geez, she went to walmart and their system crashed.  That's it.

Trusted Contributor

How lazy people have become.  They want something that they can swipe to make purchases.  What is wrong with cash?  It just makes me laugh to be behind someone who uses a credit or debit card on a purchase less than $5.00.  I use cash and if that becomes obsolete, well, I guess I will,stop buying.  With all this identity theft and such, you think people would be smarter.  Please do not state you are afraid to carry cash or it is not convenient, or you should,get with the times, heard every excuse.  Nice of people to just abandon their carts with food in, who did they think was going to take care of the merchandise?  See, lazy, lazy.  People let their anger take over their actions, or lack thereof.

Trusted Contributor

@Jaspersmom, you are smart and I agree with you!😊

Respected Contributor

I pay cash for small items and use my card to accumulate points for travel. This has given me many free plane tickets over the years including a trip planned in January 2020. I always pay my bill in full each month so no interest is paid. It actually takes more effort on my part to use the card for transactions (swipe, answer cash back or membership number questions, and enter PIN numbers) than handing over cash. I don’t consider myself lazy when I use a card for purchases, but people who abandon carts in store...well that is another story. There might be extenuating circumstances but the carts left yesterday were the result of folks not having enough cash on them.