Respected Contributor

Re: What happens when IT freezes Walmart

Expect this to happen more often for various reasons.  Between online shopping and credit card purchases at b&m stores, the systems can start crashing, especially at busy shopping times.

There's a book I think everyone should read, it's "One Second After" and describes life after everything electrical, especially connected to computer systems, crash nationwide.  It can easily happen when there are strong sun storms, and can also happen when nuclear bombs are detonated above the atmosphere.  There are safeguards, rather simple, but no one uses them.  

Honored Contributor

I always have at least $100 cash with me at all times.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I never remember to go to the ATM!  So, instead of pulling out a credit card, I do the old fashioned thing, I use checks.  Yes, I know people behind me are snickering about the old lady and her checkbook, but I do not care.  

Respected Contributor

@Jinlei 

Interesting getting change when you use cash;  the cashier just hands over a handful of bills and coins.  Cashiers don't actually count out the change, they just give back what their register tells them.  If the registers/IT system in a store went down and only cash accepted, I wonder how the employees figured out the amount of change to give the shopper.  If the internet were down, would cell phones still have the calculator function?  I seriously doubt most people carry a calculator like was once the norm. 

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic 

we dont need to carry a calculator around......we have our phones. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

I asked the question, if the internet or wi-fi is down, will phones work, even the calculator app.  I don't know.

Honored Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

@sunshine45 

I asked the question, if the internet or wi-fi is down, will phones work, even the calculator app.  I don't know.

yes, the calculator should still work.

i have turned off my wifi on the plane and certain functions on a smartphone do still work.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@SunValley Dependent is absolutely correct.  About ten years ago I went into a RiteAid on a Saturday afternoon.  In the midst of a very busy store the power shut off.

The cashiers, and most of the customers, didn't know what to do.  

The manager got some kind of flashlight and told folks he could only process cash.  He did the transactions on a hand held calculator and I was the only buyer that could complete my shopping and get out of there.  

A couple of others left their purchases and went across the street to the bank ATM and were able to get some money, since the outage was limited to this store.

I try to always have some cash on me and a total of fifty tucked into a special compartment in my purse, separated from the bills in my wallet.  You never know when an emergency taxi ride might come up, or something else unplanned.

@aroc3435 ...You are one smart lady. I never thought about running into problems like that.  Because of your post I am now going to rethink the way I handle money and will pass it on to my daughter as well.  Woman Very Happy

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

If you use just cash and not a debit card, I think you would save money! You probably wouldn't pick up extras. I think most corporations count on this.
Respected Contributor

@Brisky wrote:
If you use just cash and not a debit card, I think you would save money! You probably wouldn't pick up extras. I think most corporations count on this.

Well that was true for me on Saturday! I just bought what my cash would cover.