Esteemed Contributor

Re: What happens when IT freezes Walmart

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT wrote:

@SunValley, Yes, you are right.  Many Americans don’t think about how a cyber attack could turn life upside down.  No electricity - no way of getting gas- generators do need gas, cell phones need charging, etc.  Not a pretty picture.  

I agree.

We had a small taste of what it's like to go for about 24 hours without electricity recently, and I swear, people lost their ...

They were on the verge of looting, and this was only for a single day without electricity!

It make you wonder just how "spoiled" we have become to having instant gratification.

It's almost like electricity is a drug, and we are all junkies looking for the next fix.

It makes you wonder how our great-great-grandparents manage to survive before electricity came along.

Sometimes I think that it would be good for us as a society to have to do without electricity for awhile, so that we can re-learn how to interact with each other face-to-face again, and go back to a simpler way of life.

As a final note, it's not only cyber-terrorism that can knock out electricity, but a strong solar flare can do the same thing.

Who knows?

The next great blackout could come from Mother Nature herself, the Sun.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

My husband tells me to never leave the house with less than $100 cash in my wallet.  I just say, "hand it over Big Daddy!"

haha.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

@SunValley, Yes, you are right.  Many Americans don’t think about how a cyber attack could turn life upside down.  No electricity - no way of getting gas- generators do need gas, cell phones need charging, etc.  Not a pretty picture.  

I agree.

We had a small taste of what it's like to go for about 24 hours without electricity recently, and I swear, people lost their ...

They were on the verge of looting, and this was only for a single day without electricity!

It make you wonder just how "spoiled" we have become to having instant gratification.

It's almost like electricity is a drug, and we are all junkies looking for the next fix.

It makes you wonder how our great-great-grandparents manage to survive before electricity came along.

Sometimes I think that it would be good for us as a society to have to do without electricity for awhile, so that we can re-learn how to interact with each other face-to-face again, and go back to a simpler way of life.

As a final note, it's not only cyber-terrorism that can knock out electricity, but a strong solar flare can do the same thing.

Who knows?

The next great blackout could come from Mother Nature herself, the Sun.

I agree with you both. I don't think it's a matter of could. I think it's a matter of when.

As a side note: The beginning of October the computer system at my doctor's office crashed. In our semi-small town 95% of the healthcare facilities are owned by the same company. So it wasn't just the doctor's office where I had an appointment but also the hospital, other doctors' offices (PCPs as well as all specialities) outpatient services (labs, xrays, ct scans, MRI etc.) The parking lots were all basically empty. No doctors could see patients. Plus, they couldn't call us to even reschedule because they don't print out the schedules like they used to do. So no names or phone numbers were even available. I'm glad it was a 6 month follow up appointment with no urgent issues. Also, I only live 10 minutes away. I felt bad for the patients who travel an hour or so and for the older patients.

Honored Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

My husband tells me to never leave the house with less than $100 cash in my wallet.  I just say, "hand it over Big Daddy!"

Smiley LOL

i always have at least $100 cash in my wallet, along with a debit card and credit cards.

of course, $100 is never enough at walmart. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Hate Walmart- Don't understand the appeal at all

Honored Contributor

I try to bring cash when shopping around town.  yes, many use plastic.  My father was one who only used cash no matter what he bought. He also kept a healthy stash at home for emergencies.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a similar experience at our local Target last week. I left my items and assured them I would return. When I did, the clerk gave me a free soda that was part of my purchase and was very apologetic. I am scratching my head after reading this post. Something is amiss...

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

Even if all the customers had cash, I'm betting that the cashiers didn't know how to make change!

Respected Contributor

Once they rebooted, the cash register system retained functionality to scan, print receipts, and show the change owed the customer for cash transactions, thank goodness. I'm sure many cashiers are not use to counting back change. What they couldn't do was process debit or credit cards or run checks through the system. I had enough cash to pay for the few items I really needed for a DIY project so I stayed and waited my turn while the poor staff was rounding up abandoned carts so they could return cold items to the freezers and refrigerated sections. Not sure about the connection of the ATM, but the long line evaporated to no one. No free soda for me, just a thank you from the greeter for my patience as I left the store. I can only imagine the disruption to online delivery and store pickup orders.

Respected Contributor

@SandySparkles wrote:

I had a similar experience at our local Target last week. I left my items and assured them I would return. When I did, the clerk gave me a free soda that was part of my purchase and was very apologetic. I am scratching my head after reading this post. Something is amiss...

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Yes, there certainly was something amiss...the connection to their card services interface.