Respected Contributor

What happens when IT freezes Walmart

[ Edited ]

At 1:00 this afternoon half-way through my Saturday shopping trip at Walmart the PA system announcer tells us the host server is down, no debit or credit card processing was possible, not even checks, and only cash transactions can be accepted. There was a run for the ATM and it was emptied within minutes. Carts were abandoned everywhere throughout the store and many were filled with freezer and refrigerated foods that had to put away. Lots of cash registers crashed partway through the process and were frozen till they could be rebooted to even take cash. We're a college town with a home game tonight so the store was packed with folks buying gear, drinks and party food. It was a mess.

It was a stark reminder of how merchants and customers are not used to dealing with cash transactions and how vulnerable we are to crashed servers. I can remember the days of no debit or credit cards, and to see the chaos from having to use cash only was quite a reminder of how our finances have so little to do with actually handling money.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What happens when IT freezes Walmart

I still pay cash for most shopping around town. I hit the ATM on payday, withdraw what I need for gas & groceries. Great budgeting tool.

My farmer's market and small bulk store only accept cash. It keeps the costs of goods and services low when you don't pay that swipe fee.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SunValley Dependent is absolutely correct.  About ten years ago I went into a RiteAid on a Saturday afternoon.  In the midst of a very busy store the power shut off.

The cashiers, and most of the customers, didn't know what to do.  

The manager got some kind of flashlight and told folks he could only process cash.  He did the transactions on a hand held calculator and I was the only buyer that could complete my shopping and get out of there.  

A couple of others left their purchases and went across the street to the bank ATM and were able to get some money, since the outage was limited to this store.

I try to always have some cash on me and a total of fifty tucked into a special compartment in my purse, separated from the bills in my wallet.  You never know when an emergency taxi ride might come up, or something else unplanned.

Honored Contributor

This happened on Friday at our Publix😳most in line left because they didn't have ca$h, including ME!

They said it was a connection problem with the bank they use for debit/charge transactions.  The lady in front of me asked what about using a check -- the system was the same for processing.  Therefore, cash was only be accepted.

I went to Winn Dixie no problems🙂.  It really shows how many of us don't carry cash anymore.  I have less than $20 and normally this is for "emergency".

Respected Contributor

@Snowpuppy I used to do the same but have gotten out of the habit.

@aroc3435  I have a $50 bill tucked away too!

Respected Contributor

Wow, that sounds like it was a dilemma! Hope everything ended up okay.

Something similar happened yesterday when I stopped at Walmart Express. I was walking through automated doors when they began to close and lights went out. There was no announcement but I saw dim lights on register monitors so I walked to closest one and asked if I could go get what I needed and if I would be able to check out. Young checker replies, sure, that’s okay. Generator kicked in providing little light - still no P.A. I did notice as I passed pharmacy and courtesy bank they were kindly advising unable to help guests on emergency generator. I noticed special panels closed down on refrigerated/frozen items and we kept shopping. By then I was done by paying cash. 

Everyone was quiet and quick. We assisted a couple of mobility users. It was weird. 

I called later that night to make sure it was a temporary problem - you never know anymore. Made a suggestion it might be more diligent to provide information.

So, I guess this is what its come to be...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Makes me realize just how vulnerable we are to cyber attacks and how much we depend on computer-aided activity as we go about our daily lives. I imagine folks who have survived emergency evacuation know only too well how our lives can be affected.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a similar experience in our local Wal-Mart; power went out and that was it for two days (they lost everything that was frozen or refrigerated!  

Another topic but similar thread:  went into Mac Donalds and clerk couldn't make change (and didn't realize she had a probleml!l!l

Esteemed Contributor

@SunValley, Yes, you are right.  Many Americans don’t think about how a cyber attack could turn life upside down.  No electricity - no way of getting gas- generators do need gas, cell phones need charging, etc.  Not a pretty picture.  

Honored Contributor

My husband tells me to never leave the house with less than $100 cash in my wallet.  I just say, "hand it over Big Daddy!"

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.