Trusted Contributor

Re: What gives with this lady anyway?

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@blueroses47 wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Interesting story about FS. My parents saw him singing as a boy band singer w/ the Dorseys. This wa before WW11. She said to Daddy he was going to be a big star.

This reminds me of a story my mother would always tell, if she was asked by us that is.

Apparently when she was a young girl, and Frank Sinatra was just starting to become really popular as a singer, she had the chance to meet him informally.  I forget all details now, but it was something like he was a friend of a friend of her girlfriend's brother.  Something like that.  My mom's friend said if they went over to the friend's house, Frank was going to be stopping by to visit.  This took place in North Jersey somewhere, where my family is from.

Frank indeed was there, and my mom met him.  She said the group spent most of the evening outside on a fire escape in the dark, just chatting, and she said she couldn't even remember what he had to say.  She did get the impression he was just like any ordinary guy and seemed nice and very down to earth.  He talked a lot about his wife Nancy.

My mother would always add that she wasn't that interested in him as a singer at that time, her favorite was a singer named Bob Eberly, I think.

Just a cute story from my mother's past.

@blueroses47

My father was a musician and played with the Jimmy Dorsey orchestra back in the early 1940's.  He died when I was 21, but I remember him talking about Bob Eberly and Helen O'Connell, who both sang with their orchestra.  Very attractive couple!  And lovely voices Cat Happy

KittyLou, Yes, my mom liked Helen O'Connell too. 

My mother and I, along with one of my girlfriends and her mother, took a vacation to Bermuda in 1975.  Appearing at our hotel was Helen O'Connell, so our moms went to see that show, and my friend and I went to see Frankie Avalon at another show.

That vacation is a nice memory to have now that both the mothers are gone.  We had so much fun.

Respected Contributor

Ava Gardner was considered one of the most beautiful women in the world. Sinatra helped her till the end.

Honored Contributor

@Geri II wrote:

Perhaps you're not of the "age" to have viewed her movies. Ava Gardner was devastingly gorgeous. In her time, she was considered "one of the most beautiful women or "THE" most beautiful woman in the world". She had stunning green eyes, perfect facial features and a fabulous body. The "camera" had a love affair with her.

She never took acting seriously.....to her it was a means of making money. She came from very humble beginnings in NC. She did have talent, but was far more interested in having a good time. She was something of a "good time gal" and enjoyed partying, drinking to excess and cursed like a sailor.

She absolutely was the love of Frank's life. Frank wanted to "tame" her; he wanted the little woman waiting at home for him. Ava was not that kind of woman and either couldn't or wouldn't change.

I'm certainly not saying that only beautiful people deserved to be loved. What I am saying is that I viewed ALL of her movies and, in my opinion, she was THE most beautiful woman I ever saw.

Sadly, her beauty and fame were not enough to save her from herself. She died alone in England with only a housekeeper in her life.

Until her death, Frank looked after her; in fact, he paid her medical bills.

@Geri II wrote:

Perhaps you're not of the "age" to have viewed her movies. Ava Gardner was devastingly gorgeous. In her time, she was considered "one of the most beautiful women or "THE" most beautiful woman in the world". She had stunning green eyes, perfect facial features and a fabulous body. The "camera" had a love affair with her.

She never took acting seriously.....to her it was a means of making money. She came from very humble beginnings in NC. She did have talent, but was far more interested in having a good time. She was something of a "good time gal" and enjoyed partying, drinking to excess and cursed like a sailor.

She absolutely was the love of Frank's life. Frank wanted to "tame" her; he wanted the little woman waiting at home for him. Ava was not that kind of woman and either couldn't or wouldn't change.

I'm certainly not saying that only beautiful people deserved to be loved. What I am saying is that I viewed ALL of her movies and, in my opinion, she was THE most beautiful woman I ever saw.

Sadly, her beauty and fame were not enough to save her from herself. She died alone in England with only a housekeeper in her life.

Until her death, Frank looked after her; in fact, he paid her medical bills.

Sorry but I'm one who never did see that she was all that beautiful.  But that being said, lots of women have always been attracted to powerful men, who are attracted to glamorous and desirable women.  Powerful and glamorous men and women who take what they please and leave a wide path of destruction and broken hearts behind them.  Think Jackie and JFK.

I mean look at these abusers currently in the news.  Handsome?  For the most part NOT.  Powerful?  You bet!  

Same thing with what you have seen going on these days.  A lot of women have thrown themselves at powerful men.  Maybe today it goes the other way too. . . I don't know.  But many loves and affairs and trysts and power struggles have always gone on among powerful people.  It isn't about looks, it's about power and authority and excitement.  And Frank was one of the most powerful of his time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

What gives with Ava Gardner?  Is that what is being asked?  I am not clear about the post.

However, in my opinion, Ava Gardner was beautiful.  It has been said by those who knew Sinatra and wrote about him that Ava was the love of his life and he certainly had his choice of women during his life.

My favorite movie which Ava Gardner starred in with Bogie is The Barefoot Contessa.  I saw the movie when it came out in the fifties and have watched it many times since.  I also have a cd with the theme song from the movie and had to search for it.  To me it is one of best of movie theme songs besides Moonglow and the theme from Picnic.  As soon as the dvd of the movie was available I bought it so I can watch the movie whenever.  Bogie is older in the movie and Ava a stunner.  It is a great cast too, one of my top favorites..

As far as Sinatra is concerned, I am a fan of his music and acting. When he sings, especially his saloon songs, I feel every word.  He is a true stylist and whether you like him or not, his music has proven itself and there will never be any one who sings with the quality he put forth in my opinion.  The Man With the Golden Arm was one of his best acting roles.

I have followed Frank Sinatra from the first time I saw him live at the Paramount in New York when he was 21 years old and making his first public appearance.  Girls were swooning, the line went on and on and to me it was a historic day.  I saw him live two times after that, once in Los Angeles where I was living and again in Florida where I was visiting. He was a true artist.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

What's the point of gossiping about people who have been dead and buried for years?

The answer is simple...there are many people who are dead who will live on forever.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I remember my Mom saying she and her sisters would swoon when they heard FS sing on the radio. When I saw him on TV in the 50's and 60's I just didn't get it. FS was an average looking man of his time, at best. AG was one beautiful woman at any time in history, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

hmmmm..We may have had the same mother! i know i heard that same story and thought the same thing...

When my girlfriend and I went to see him at the Paramount when he was 21 years old it wasn't his looks that made the girls swoon.  He was an average skinny guy, but oh, could he sing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma Off topic here, but have to tell you that I LOVE your signature line so much that EVERY time I see it, I recite it two or three times.  I haven't got it memorized yet, but I will soon.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spiderw wrote:

What gives with Ava Gardner?  Is that what is being asked?  I am not clear about the post.

However, in my opinion, Ava Gardner was beautiful.  It has been said by those who knew Sinatra and wrote about him that Ava was the love of his life and he certainly had his choice of women during his life.

My favorite movie which Ava Gardner starred in with Bogie is The Barefoot Contessa.  I saw the movie when it came out in the fifties and have watched it many times since.  I also have a cd with the theme song from the movie and had to search for it.  To me it is one of best of movie theme songs besides Moonglow and the theme from Picnic.  As soon as the dvd of the movie was available I bought it so I can watch the movie whenever.  Bogie is older in the movie and Ava a stunner.  It is a great cast too, one of my top favorites..

As far as Sinatra is concerned, I am a fan of his music and acting. When he sings, especially his saloon songs, I feel every word.  He is a true stylist and whether you like him or not, his music has proven itself and there will never be any one who sings with the quality he put forth in my opinion.  The Man With the Golden Arm was one of his best acting roles.

@spiderw, I don't offhand recall the theme song to Picnic; I'll have to check it out. That is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Along with Aaron Copland's music, I consider it to be a quintessentially American expression of a certain time and place in our history.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3

The dance scene with William Holden and Kim Novak from Picnic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBoMIi8bYc

The song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAxJ93LzaaA&list=RDiAxJ93LzaaA&t=29

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@suzyQ3

The dance scene with William Holden and Kim Novak from Picnic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DBoMIi8bYc

The song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAxJ93LzaaA&list=RDiAxJ93LzaaA&t=29

@RoughDraft, Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland