Honored Contributor

Re: What gives with this lady anyway?

[ Edited ]

That might not be the best photo of Ava, but she was drop dead gorgeous.  As she aged disease and alcoholism consumed her. She died from pneumonia around 67-68, young.  It is said she had mental issues. And she hung her mink coat on both sides of the door. 

i think Frank and Ava were tied at the hip. i think with Ava she would philander around, come back to Frank, he wanted her back.  Her attitude might have been, if I cant have you ....no one will, lol.!!!  He would have another relationship,and there she was. She would break it up, then get in her "mood" and leave.  She was unbalanced, and consumed with alcohol.  Poor thing.  she lost money, Frank helped her on the side as he moved on from this poisonous relationship.  So it is said.  I think there is some truth to these rumors.  I remember the days they were front page news with their brawls!  

I only know from the newspapers at the time, and from Franks talking about her later in life.  Also friends that were close to them recounted blow by blow the relationship

sort of a Liz and ****** story.

Honored Contributor

I remember my Mom saying she and her sisters would swoon when they heard FS sing on the radio. When I saw him on TV in the 50's and 60's I just didn't get it. FS was an average looking man of his time, at best. AG was one beautiful woman at any time in history, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

That might not be the best photo of Ava, but she was drop dead gorgeous.  As she aaged disease and alcoholism consumed her. She died from pneumonia around 67-68, young.  It is said she had mental issues. And she hung her mink coat on both sides of the door. 

i think Frank and Ava were sewed at the hip. i think with Ava she would philander around, come back to Frank, he wanted her back.  Her attitude might have been if I cant have you no one will, lol.  He would have a relation and there she was. She would break it up, then get in her "mood" and leave.  She was unbalanced, and consumed with alcohol.  Poor thing.  she lost money, Frank helped her on the side as he moved on from this poisonous relationship.  

I only know from the newspapers at the time, and from Franks talking about her later in life.  Also friends that were close to them recounted blow by blow the relationship

sort of a Liz and ****** story.

@shoekittySmiley Wink

Frank just couldn't deal with a woman running the show.  His obsession with her had more to do with not being able to control her than really being in true love with her.

He couldn't deal with Mia's determination to continue her acting career, either, and there went that marriage.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Well, one thing I’m sure of. I don’t feel sorry for Frank. He lived a long, full life. I don’t think Ava had much happiness in her life. Hers is the sad story.
Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I remember my Mom saying she and her sisters would swoon when they heard FS sing on the radio. When I saw him on TV in the 50's and 60's I just didn't get it. FS was an average looking man of his time, at best. AG was one beautiful woman at any time in history, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

hmmmm..We may have had the same mother! i know i heard that same story and thought the same thing...

Respected Contributor

Ava in her own words, with Ghostwriter Peter Evans...

warning... she had no filter....

Three Men and a Goddess

Once Hollywood’s most irresistible woman—wed to Mickey Rooney, Artie Shaw, and Frank Sinatra—by 1988 Ava Gardner was nearly broke, ravaged by illness, and intent on selling her memoirs. But the man she chose as her ghostwriter, Peter Evans, had his own problems, not least a legal war with Sinatra. In an exclusive from the book that wasn’t published in either of their lifetimes, Gardner spills the seduction-to-split secrets of her three marriages

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/07/book-ava-gardner-marriages-seduction-split

Honored Contributor

Ava was such a sad lady. Shelly Winters had to rescue her husband from Ava's clutches, in Spain,  when he filmed the naked Maja with her

She wrote about it in her book. Her husband Tony Francisco was mentally fragile, himself ,and Ava was really a man eater, according to Shelly. When Shelly rescued him, he was tottering on the verge of a breakdown. I think Ava might have been bipolar, and Tony just couldn't keep up with her

She was beautiful, and the pictures posted here ,doesn't do her justice at all.

Respected Contributor

Ava was a stunner; considered by many to be a true natural beauty! 

Honored Contributor

If this is anyone's idea of an average looking woman, then sign me up to be average...

Image result for ava gardner

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Yep.  She was supposed be very beautiful. He carried a torch for all his life.  Sad.  She broke his heart.  I don't see the obsession.  She looks like an average women.  Nothing special...

@songbird

Are you joking here?    The fact that you're assessing this woman based only on appearance is ridiculous ....  although she was a stunning woman.  Clearly, they had some amazing chemistry .... you know, personality.  It's not just about looks.  oi vey