Valued Contributor

Re: What gives with this lady anyway?

In 1990 I surprised my mother with Sinatra tickets for her 60th birthday. She was one of those crazy bobby soxer teens in the 40's and had seen him then and it was something she spoke of often and fondly. I scored orchestra seats at Radio City Music Hall and what a show! Frank was 75 years old and performed for 2 1/2 hours. I loved every minute of it, as did mom.

And yes, Ava Gardner was beyond stunning!
Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Don't you just love these puzzle postings?    What didn't he know........?

I recognize Ava  - what's the point?

He was a skinny little guy - don't know what she saw in him

Let's make postings 'clear' - going forward

Rumor has it there was definitely something she saw in him, if you get my drift.....Woman LOL

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

I Googled Ava Gardner cause of death and she died of pneumonia.  They also list a few other major stars' cause of death if one is interested.  

@depglass  People with Alzheimer's can die of pneumonia.  Many do. So, although a patient had Alzheimer's that might not be the cause of death.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I Googled Ava Gardner cause of death and she died of pneumonia.  They also list a few other major stars' cause of death if one is interested.  

@depglass  People with Alzheimer's can die of pneumonia.  Many do. So, although a patient had Alzheimer's that might not be the cause of death.

Ava Gardner didn't have Alzheimer's.

She had COPD, emphysema from smoking all her life.

Trusted Contributor

I think that man eater description hits the nail on the head.  

Poor thing to look like this and so glad it's not what I look like.

Shockingly average.  Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47 wrote:

Ava Gardner was a goddess, in the looks department anyway.  She even played Venus in a wonderful old romantic comedy "One Touch of Venus".

One of my favorite movies! And songs! (Speak Low).

Honored Contributor

I am an "old movie" buff so I have seen Ava quite a few times on screen.  I thought she was a good actress. I don't know much about her personal life. I guess I would agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  With that said, if God had chosen to endow me with that face and that body, I wouldn't complain!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’ve read the original post twice and am still confused. And the thread title....”what gives with this lady anyway”.  What does that mean?  There are no words. 

So only the “beautiful people” deserve to find love and be loved?  

This is one of the most bizarre, makes no sense, threads I’ve ever read on these boards.  And insulting. 

I agree, @gidgetgh.  I thought it was just me.  Thought I was missing something!  

Both of my parents adored Sinatra so I grew up listening to his albums.  As for the "lady", I was too young to know anything about her.  All I know is that my mom loved her movies.  Thanks to this thread, I now know too much negative about both of them.  I don't understand the purpose of gossip or the purpose of the OP's post.

Trusted Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
In 1990 I surprised my mother with Sinatra tickets for her 60th birthday. She was one of those crazy bobby soxer teens in the 40's and had seen him then and it was something she spoke of often and fondly. I scored orchestra seats at Radio City Music Hall and what a show! Frank was 75 years old and performed for 2 1/2 hours. I loved every minute of it, as did mom.

And yes, Ava Gardner was beyond stunning!

Wow, what a wonderful birthday gift for your mother.  In the mid 70's I met briefly a violinist who worked in his orchestra.  I think that was when Sinatra was doing a big tour. This man was the son of the woman I was renting an apartment from and I just met him briefly.  I do remember him saying how wonderful Sinatra was to work for, he treated all his musicians so well.

Trusted Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@blueroses47 wrote:

Ava Gardner was a goddess, in the looks department anyway.  She even played Venus in a wonderful old romantic comedy "One Touch of Venus".

One of my favorite movies! And songs! (Speak Low).

Yes, I loved that song too.   I think I first saw this movie on TV (the old Million Dollar Movie when they showed the same movie all week long in the pm) when I was around 8 or 9. 

You can see how a movie like this would be magical for a little girl of that age.  I loved it so much then, but I still love it now.