Honored Contributor

Re: What gives with this lady anyway?

@CatsyCline wrote:

Sinatra first recorded I'm A Fool to Want You in March of 1951.  He was married to  Ava Gardner from 1951 to 1957.  He thought he could tame her.

Sinatra recorded a newer version of  I'm A Fool to Want You in 1957 (Capitol Records) which happened to coincide with their split.

Ava Gardner was an extraordinarily beautiful woman, a  free spirit and Sinatra absolutely met his match with her.!    He could not hold onto her because she was as much of a rover as he was,  highly sexual and enjoyed being with men and was unfaithful in their marriage as he was in his first marriage to Nancy.

Gardner once complained to her ex that Sinatra was too gentle with her, as though she would break.   He loved her more than she loved him.  It was the opposite in his other marriages. He was horrible to Nancy and hs children whom he left for Gardner.

Exellent post.  I love that song by the way.  I was truly shocked the first time I heard it that he wrote it.  I don't know if he ever wrote another song.

Honored Contributor

What gives with Ava Gardner?  Is that what is being asked?  I am not clear about the post.

However, in my opinion, Ava Gardner was beautiful.  It has been said by those who knew Sinatra and wrote about him that Ava was the love of his life and he certainly had his choice of women during his life.

My favorite movie which Ava Gardner starred in with Bogie is The Barefoot Contessa.  I saw the movie when it came out in the fifties and have watched it many times since.  I also have a cd with the theme song from the movie and had to search for it.  To me it is one of best of movie theme songs besides Moonglow and the theme from Picnic.  As soon as the dvd of the movie was available I bought it so I can watch the movie whenever.  Bogie is older in the movie and Ava a stunner.  It is a great cast too, one of my top favorites..

As far as Sinatra is concerned, I am a fan of his music and acting. When he sings, especially his saloon songs, I feel every word.  He is a true stylist and whether you like him or not, his music has proven itself and there will never be any one who sings with the quality he put forth in my opinion.  The Man With the Golden Arm was one of his best acting roles.

Honored Contributor

I think that some men only want what they can't really have. He couldn't totally have her so she was the one he wanted, and he was never satisfied.

Honored Contributor

“Poor guy?” Hardly. Sinatra was no saint. In fact, he was known to be a jerk at times.
Honored Contributor

What's the point of gossiping about people who have been dead and buried for years?

Honored Contributor

And I am a big Sinatra fan.
Love Gardner in Barefoot Contessa and Mogambo.
Respected Contributor

@songbird   Sinatra wrote a handful of songs - the lyrics. 1941 "This Love Of Mine" (lyrics) a real crooner tune. And "Mistletoe and Holly" 1957. It's a Christmas Music staple.

I am a true Sinatra fan!  My Dad loved him too.   I just love these Sinatra tunes, it brings me back to being a kid and my parents had the radio on evenings playing these old tunes.  We had a TV but we only got 2 channels.   I think the radio program was called The Singing Strings"

Honored Contributor

@songbird  I remember reading a quote of Frank's commenting on how great Ava's body was.

Related image

Respected Contributor

Okay -- I give up.  What is this all about?  Is this a joke?  Why (including myself) are so many people responding to something so crazy. 

Are we on Candid Camera??

Esteemed Contributor

I'm voting on the side of  "'what the heck did she see in him?"  Other than he had a nice voice?