Honored Contributor

Re: What finish paint in a HIGH traffic area: Satin or eggshell?

@Mominohio wrote:

In my experience, the only truly washable paint in a high traffic area is semi gloss. I have used satin in some less used areas, and I do prefer the look of it, but it does not wash as easily.

And if you are like me and hate to paint and don't do it very often, the semi gloss fades out to more of a satin look over time anyway, but still washes up. Most of the satin I've used tends to dull out and look more like a flat paint after a number of years. 

@Mominohio, as I had posted, the Benjamin Moore Aura paint in their matte formula washes off just as well as any previous satin paint we've used. And personally, I think semi-gloss is best suited for baseboards, other trim, and maybe kitchens (although we used their eggshell, and it's a dream to clean).

Sometimes it truly does matter which brand you use and which line within that brand.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

BM Aura paint is my paint of choice.  It's easy to use, doesn't smell, and the color stays true.  It's truly one coat paint.

I covered red paint in a bathroom with one coat of BM Aura paint in October Mist, which is a light green.  I expected to need at least two coats.  It covered in one beautifully!

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

In my experience, the only truly washable paint in a high traffic area is semi gloss. I have used satin in some less used areas, and I do prefer the look of it, but it does not wash as easily.

And if you are like me and hate to paint and don't do it very often, the semi gloss fades out to more of a satin look over time anyway, but still washes up. Most of the satin I've used tends to dull out and look more like a flat paint after a number of years. 

@Mominohio, as I had posted, the Benjamin Moore Aura paint in their matte formula washes off just as well as any previous satin paint we've used. And personally, I think semi-gloss is best suited for baseboards, other trim, and maybe kitchens (although we used their eggshell, and it's a dream to clean).

Sometimes it truly does matter which brand you use and which line within that brand.

@suzyQ3

I haven't had the same success with Benjamin Moore that you have, although my mom has used it in one application in particular that she was really pleased with, and it has held up very well. 

I agree, brands do matter, and I never buy cheap paint. I absolutely hate to paint (love the results, but hate the prep work and the painting) so I won't go with a cheap paint ever, either.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@suzyQ3

I haven't had the same success with Benjamin Moore that you have, although my mom has used it in one application in particular that she was really pleased with, and it has held up very well. 

I agree, brands do matter, and I never buy cheap paint. I absolutely hate to paint (love the results, but hate the prep work and the painting) so I won't go with a cheap paint ever, either.

@Mominohio, definitely not my success. Props go to our painters. :-) They did a wonderful job.

FWIW: I'm familiar only with BM's Aura line. That's what we requested, and our painter agreed that it is the best.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland