Honored Contributor

Re: What dumb things did you believe as a child?

@ALRATIBA wrote:

One of my friends told me that when she was a child,  she believed that Mount Rushmore was natural, not man-made.

My mother thought that...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Yes, WOW!!!!---that the AMAZING "duck and cover" drill would protect us from severe storms, tornadoes, and even nuclear missles  🤔.....

When I was about 3 when there was thunder my mom told me not to be scared, it was just God and the angels bowling....😉

Too funny, Mom told us God was rearranging furniture 

I was told thunder was two clouds bumping into one another.

Esteemed Contributor

@lgfan wrote:
I was brought up Catholic so I thought that only married people could have children. To my surprise when I was fourteen I met a woman who had a child out of wedlock. So much for the Catholic teachings.

I had that story too growing up. I though when you got married God did something to you so you could now have kids.

Trusted Contributor

I thought when my parents adopted me that they walked around some place with a bunch of babies and picked me out. Smiley LOL

Valued Contributor

How is it dumb if you are a child and don't know better???

Respected Contributor

I went to Catholic school for 12 years, and I have many stories. 

But the worst ones involve communion: if you weren't careful, for example, the host would turn to blood.

I remember one very old nun who kept us enthralled with her stories of crawfish and other demons: these were the best!

On a separate note, I was very afraid of dogs (and everything else). I got my all my siblings afraid of them too (seven children). They got over it (mercifully)--but I did not. I am still afraid.

Valued Contributor

@lgfan Not Catholic here, but my mother told me the same thing. She said you had to be married before God would grant you a baby, and that you had to pray a lot first. I don't remember the age I was when I discovered the truth.

She also showed me her Cesarean scar and I believed all babies were born that way. I had a rude awakening at about 10 when my friend and I looked at her father's medical books (her dad was an OBG). I was shocked and horrified. Those pictures no doubt influenced me to never have a baby. 

Valued Contributor

I think I've read all the previous postings (slow day at my house) and did not see this dumb thing mentioned. My dad told me soy sauce was made from "bug squeezings," like from crickets, cockroaches and other beetles. My mother always would say, "don't tell her things like that." But even after learning otherwise, it was years before I could actually eat anything with soy sauce. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 ....That picture of the "Spaghetti Tree" is hilarious!!  Thank you for posting it!  🤣🤣  Funny memories! 

Valued Contributor

@BoopOMatic I agree!