Honored Contributor

Re: What dumb things did you believe as a child?

@CelticCrafter wrote:

That new sneakers, particularly Keds and PF Flyers, could make you run faster and jump higher!

I always thought there were very tiny, real people in the television.

@CelticCrafter Me too!!  I remember getting a new pair of red Keds, then letting go of my mother's hands and running ahead.  Of course I got yelled at, but I remember telling her about the commercial, and the need to see if I could run faster and jump higher!!  

BTW; I couldn't.

Occasional Contributor

That my mom had eyes behind her head.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I heard lots of these sayings when growing up, but most of them I never believed. My grandmother lived with us, and she was the source of most of these things. I knew from a fairly young age they made no sense. I don't remember my parents using or saying that many of them. 

Respected Contributor

I got the whole thing about eating 1 hour before swimming wrong.

*I* thought it applied to running through the sprinklers, too!  LOL

Denise
Trusted Contributor

During thunderstorms, I remember hiding under the covers thinking I was safe.  No air-conditioning in our house in those days but I guess heat does not really bother kids.  Guess I was protected though because I am still here today!  I remember asking my mom where we were going on a long car ride and she said we were going to see where Jesus left his shoes.  I really thought we were going to see Jesus' shoes.  Car rides really do seem long to young kids.  

Valued Contributor

@Beacon girl wrote:
When my Uncle got the first car in the family -late40’s he took everyone for a ride. Remember asking him was the scenery moving or were we. Lol. I also thought tree frogs that you hear in spring and fall were actually frogs up in trees. How simple life was back then in early 50’s

Indeed it was. Much simpler, and a lot of fun, too.

Honored Contributor

When I was real young, I was afraid of thunder (still am) and my aunt told me it was angels bowling.  I guess that made me feel a little better.

Respected Contributor

I overheard my mother talking about an aunt and uncle who "couldn't" have children.  So I thought there was someone who had to give people permission to have a baby and wondered why they weren't allowed to. It made me a little leery of them thinking maybe they were found out to be mean to children!

Respected Contributor

My grandmother maintained that if you dropped a certain utensil, the designated person of that utensil would show up at your door.

I believe the knife meant a male visitor, fork was a female visitor and the spoon indicated a child.

I totally bought that one hook, line and sinker.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

I had a fascination with ballet and tap shoes, and believed I was going to school to learn to sing and dance.  My parents said I had to take special classes, and since I knew there were classes at school, I happily climbed on that bus thinking I was on my way to getting those pretty shoes I wanted.  Boy was I disappointed! 

I also believed in leprechauns and the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  Hoss Cartwright saw leprechauns on the Ponderosa, and they were real people, not cartoons, so they did exist.  And the rainbows looked like they ended in Grandpa's big hayfield; too far away for me to walk by myself, and Grandpa was too busy to take me over there with the farm wagon in order to bring that pot of gold home.