Regular Contributor

Re: What dumb things did you believe as a child?

That Roller Derby as real!!

Honored Contributor

I thought that cows and bulls were two different animals. I believed there were boy and girl cows.

My mom told me that if I bite my nails I'd turn into one. I didn't completely believe it but I  dreamed of myself as a fingernail with stick figure arms and legs and a face on the nail. Happened a few times.

I believed that if I petted a stray cat I would get fleas from it.

Respected Contributor

My mother was on the phone, i was about 7 and they were talking about someone that had a tumor in their stomach. later i asked her what was a tumor and she said "A Growth"  All i could picture was a tree growing in persons belly. Then my mother complained of a hammering in her head. i thought it might be a tumor. i was scared.

The worst was when my parents went out for New Years. The neighbors across the street had parties. The husband would dress up as the old man for the old year and then put on a diaper made of towels to ring in the New Year. Lots of booze flowing.

Anyway, one New Years' morning Mom and Dad stayed in bed way longer than usual. i had to run get the bucket for Mom. her false teeth fell in along with the contents of her...you know.

She said "If I ever feel like this again, i'd rather be dead". i went through YEARS of being a kid watching and waiting to see if she ever got really hammered again...in case she got her wish.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I believed that crawlling underneath my schooldesk would save me from a nuclear blast.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

My grandmother told me a little girl she played with as a child sat on a pin and it went to her heart and killed her. She was teaching me to sew...

This is a great thread!

I'm at work now & it's a slow day.

@Trinity11, when I read your response, I actually burst out laughing....startled my coworker!  Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@reiki604 @I believed it too and so did all the kids. They called these drills we did in preparation for a nuclear attack "Duck and Cover." 

Respected Contributor

I thought that when a couple had a baby they had them in order - girl, boy, girl, boy.  That's how it worked for my parents.  My BF parents had 6 kids and all in the same order.

Imagine my surprise when my new friend had 3 brothers.  How did that happen?

But I was a teenager before I even found out where babies came from  LOL

I could not believe it!

Honored Contributor

Around 6 until......I believed all adults were "good" and did the right thing.

Respected Contributor

@shoekitty  We are so fortunate to have lived in a country that has not been bombed and destroyed in wars. I think of all the children who saw wars in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.

I never imagined that we would be seeing what has happened

in Ukraine. I'm so sad for those people and especially the innocent children and all the pets who have been suffering or killed. Pure evil still lives.

Respected Contributor

That my face ( or crossed eyes) would "stay that way"....