Honored Contributor

Re: What dumb things did you believe as a child?

Yes, @Foxxee  I was the same...very naive.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper@tiny 2   I was 10 years old when my mother was

pregnant with my brother. She told me that she swallowed a watermelon seed and it grew making her fat.

Then when my brother was born, "she went to the hospital to

buy a baby".

Esteemed Contributor

I came out of the womb a skeptic. I didn't even believe the usual childhood fibs, Santa, Easter bunny or toothfairy for very long.

When my paternal grandfather, who was a doll, tried to tell me brown cows gave chocolate milk I told him he was wrong.  I was probably 5 or 6.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 @Linda0215@Jinlei   My mother also said that sewing needles would sew my lips together. She called them darning needles. I was not really afraid of dragonflies.

Regular Contributor

When I was a youg child in the Bronx, we lived near a UPS depot that we would drive by on occasion. Once asked my dad what the trucks did. He told me that they deliver.

Based on his answer and the color of the trucks, I believed that UPS trucks brought

de-liver to de-store for people to buy. Called them liver trucks for years. As long as my dad lived, he teasedme about it every time a UPS truck went by.

Occasional Contributor

That mice got in my hair at night and built nests. At least that is what my brothers told me. I was afraid to go to bed. Lol

Honored Contributor

My dad told us kids that if we played a rock and roll record on his stereo it would ruin the needle.

Of course we were allowed to own rock and roll records so I don't know why he said that.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In 1952, I was 5 years old and starting first grade. That was in the days of air raid sirens and school drills where we hid under our desks and would be safe from the Russians nuclear bombs.

Well, our next door neighbor  had a truck come to their house often. The name on the truck was Booma Breed. I thought that it was a company that made bombs. It was actually the name of their oil company.

When planes flew overhead, I though that they would bomb us.

I remember going to the airport to see my father fly away in a plane when he was in the Navy. I was sure that I would never see him again. He did return after the Korean war.

I also believed that my mother actually had eyes on the back of her head and I would stare at the back of her head to try to see through her hair, if that was true.

Of course, fairies, Santa and the Easter Bunny were real to me

back then.

The first time I heard the Pledge of Allegiance in school, I heard "and to the republic for

which it stands" . I wondered who

Richard Stands was!

When the nuns said Jesus Mercy, I thought they were saying

Jesus Murphy.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I thought that when I heard babies came from a seed, it was seeds....you know like Burpee ,lol!  I was always wondering how the seed made babies, and which one, lol

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Enufstuff 

I am about the same age as you .   I remember the air raids. It was one thing I was terrified of. It was during Korean conflict, and after.  But WWII was still fresh in everyone's mind.  As kids we always talked about what our Dads did during the war,

lol...we each had bragging rights,  It was into my teen years that my heart didn't jolt when I heard a plane fly over.  I was terrified.  I don't think the adults knew how much it scared kids.  They should have explained more.  When I lived in Palo Alto, Los Altos  as a kid we were near Moffet Field and NASA.  Jets flew over a lot.  Some were loud at times