Valued Contributor

Re: What does your name mean? Do you like it?

I've never really liked my name. Maybe it's because it was so common. There were 5 of us in my kindergarten class.

My full name is pretty but nobody uses it. They use the common nickname. I tried to use the full name when I started high school but it felt so formal and people just didn't use it.

My middle name is worse and spelled in a different way.

My mom had a very unusual name so I think she just wanted me to have a nice common name. I understand that and of course she liked my name or she wouldn't have named me that. She was a sweetheart and full of love.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Trusted Contributor

I'm not crazy about my name.  In school there were often three of us, so we also went by the added initial of our surnames.

My mother had a very unusual first name, more like a surname, and she wanted common names for her daughters.

Honored Contributor

My first name means "bright fame".

My middle name means "born-again".

My last name (maiden) means means "dove" or "peaceful being".

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Contributor

Thank you for your question. I had forgotten the meaning of my names and today after reading your question I had to Google it, both my first and middle name mean; Pledged to God, Joy and Strong!!!  So grateful to my parents...Heart

Respected Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Mine means Springtime.  I don't love it.  I would rather have gone by my middle name.

I looked mine up and it said basically the same thing.  Most of our names are derived from old English, if you will.  I don't like mine but since I'm a recluse, I don't hear it much.

Esteemed Contributor

My name means bitter and sometimes I am....but mostly not.  I'm fine with my name.  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Valued Contributor

Mine means "plain" as in "a flat area."  Not too exciting!

I don't care for it, and it was miserably overused in my age group, so there were always three or four of us in any given elementary school class.

My father insisted on it, and my mom eventually gave in, greatly to my disappointment, especially when I learned she had something much prettier in mind, darn it!

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Honored Contributor

@Mrs Pez Head 

I love the name Leilani.

My son had a longtme girlfriend with that lovely name and she was too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I was named after both my Mom and Dad. They were able to combine their names. Growing up I never liked it because nobody could ever spell it right, even though they could pronounce it correctly. Now that they are both gone, I love it since it represents both of them!