Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do your grandchildren call you?

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

2014073095073949-1.jpg  Nana💓

@Sweet_Serenity

You have bragging rights for this beautiful child!

Honored Contributor

Right now, one is 10 weeks old and the other is 8 weeks old.  I have time to decide but I think I'll go with Nana.  I don't llike the idea of Grandma or Gran or anything like that. 

Honored Contributor

I have only 1 GD (and I know she will be my only😢) she calls me Grandmom & spouse Pop Pop.  I count the days til I'm visiting her right now I'm about 3 weeks away💃🏻💃🏻. Thank god for modern technology - Skype.

Funniest story ever:

now that she is in Kindergarten she loves to play school (did I mention our Skype time is usually hours🙀) -- she is always the teacher!

Last week I thought I'd die laughing. She was selecting "helpers" for the day this was the scenario.

"Ok students listen for the 1st letter of your name. If I call it you are a helper"

She then says the letters are "G" and "M" and "J". Well of course non of these are the letter of my 1st name - as I raise my hand she says "What is it Grandmom?"

I said " you never call my name"....Omg she says "Grandmom what is the first letter of Grandmom?"

I say "G" ...she says "then you're my helper & you better pay attention OR you're not going to go to 1st grade if you don't know how to spell your name!"

I never laughed so hard in my life.  I had tears it was so funny!!!

Respected Contributor

I call myself "Glamma": my grand kid calls me "eeeeer hmmmmmeeeeerruff!" ( She is

my two year old Granddog, Coco)

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

My mom was 'granny' to my kids, and my MIL was 'grandma'. Unfortunately, my MIL was distant and cold and never cared for her grandkids.

Anyway, @house_cat, years ago when my youngest son was about 4, he was sitting in the living room all by himself and looking very pensive. I went in & asked 'What are you thinking about?', & he replied "There's a big difference between being a grandma and a granny, isn't there?"

I decided right then and there that when it came time for me to be a grandparent, I most definitively wanted to be a granny! And that's what my granddaughters call me. Heart

Muddling through...
Contributor

I am Gigi, because my mom is Grandma.  My husband is Papi.  We love our grandkids and are very proud of being grandparents!!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Started out as Nana, but quickly shrank to Nan. As they've gotten older, most of their friends now think my name is Nancy.  Sometimes Gama.  

Other Grandmothers in family are Memaw,  Bumpa,  Baboo and Mimi.  Sometimes you can influence them with a suggestion, but most of the time a little one will make up his or her own name for you.

New Contributor

another Gemma here.

Honored Contributor

@sabatini wrote:

My mom was 'granny' to my kids, and my MIL was 'grandma'. Unfortunately, my MIL was distant and cold and never cared for her grandkids.

Anyway, @house_cat, years ago when my youngest son was about 4, he was sitting in the living room all by himself and looking very pensive. I went in & asked 'What are you thinking about?', & he replied "There's a big difference between being a grandma and a granny, isn't there?"

I decided right then and there that when it came time for me to be a grandparent, I most definitively wanted to be a granny! And that's what my granddaughters call me. Heart

I think it's wonderful that you are proud to be called a name that lets the world know you are a grandmother, and reminds your grandchild exactly who you are in their lives!  That is so special.   I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to have that honored title!  

Esteemed Contributor

We are Mimi & Pops!