Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,336
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: What do you want for Christmas?

I'm blessed with closets full of fine fashions and really do not need anything like that. I could really use a new fridge with a functional ice maker and filtered water. Maybe Santa is reading these.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: What do you want for Christmas?

I understand the OP’s point because it happens so often.  New posts that sound fun, too often turn into a collection of long sad posts.  The original intent doesn’t have a chance.  It also holds true for any mention of a holiday except maybe Halloween.

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 37,124
Registered: ‎01-08-2011

Re: What do you want for Christmas?

Well.......there's this handmade SS bracelet with garnets that's made from my favorite jewelry crafter, whom is a member of the Southern Highland Crafters.

 

My gift to myself is:  This vest in black deer skin!!!!!

 

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,797
Registered: ‎10-26-2010

Re: What do you want for Christmas?

@Noel7

 

I like your Halloween owl. Cute!

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,162
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: What do you want for Christmas?

There's a piece of artwork on art.com that I would like to have. Saving a space for it. I liked another poster's 'peace' answer. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor
Posts: 12,704
Registered: ‎08-22-2013

Re: What do you want for Christmas?

I just want everyone to be healthy and spend time with their loved ones at Christmas time.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: What do you want for Christmas?


@Daisy wrote:

@Noel7

 

I like your Halloween owl. Cute!


 

Hi @Daisy Sunflower. Thank you Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,504
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: What do you want for Christmas?


@Noel7 wrote:

I understand the OP’s point because it happens so often.  New posts that sound fun, too often turn into a collection of long sad posts.  The original intent doesn’t have a chance.  It also holds true for any mention of a holiday except maybe Halloween.

 

 


 

 

But when someone starts a thread, they are the ones who title it, and the Original Post is/should be a guide as to what they intend/how they hope a thread will go. If a thread starts to go in a direction the OP doesn’t want, it’s up to them to say something about that, specifically.

 

Thread title/OP:

 

What do you want for Christmas?

It's not a big deal for me and I guess if I had a choice I would like a gift card to Target 1st choice; Macys 2nd choice. How about you? I will definitely buy something for my cat probably a toy.

 

Some posters read only the title, or just the title and the OP. 

 

The OP herself titles her thread ‘what do you want’ and follows it up with mentioning gift cards. Of course people assume the thread is intended to be about the gifts people want. Some responses will be concrete, some philosophic, some involving memories. 

 

I personally think that to spark questions about a holiday that centers around both family and memories more than any other, and then to later (after having said nothing early on) lament that people have said “sad” things when the OP wanted it to be “happy” is pretty disingenuous at worst, clueless at best - and hurtful to those who shared their wish to be reunited with deceased loved ones.

 

I don’t honestly feel that this is a thread “gone wrong/gone off the rails” in the sense that often happens here.

 

And if I were the OP, I wouldn’t have said anything about the sad/happy perception, knowing it would hurt those who had shared those personal memories and wishes.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,752
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: What do you want for Christmas?


@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I understand the OP’s point because it happens so often.  New posts that sound fun, too often turn into a collection of long sad posts.  The original intent doesn’t have a chance.  It also holds true for any mention of a holiday except maybe Halloween.

 

 


 

 

But when someone starts a thread, they are the ones who title it, and the Original Post is/should be a guide as to what they intend/how they hope a thread will go. If a thread starts to go in a direction the OP doesn’t want, it’s up to them to say something about that, specifically.

 

Thread title/OP:

 

What do you want for Christmas?

It's not a big deal for me and I guess if I had a choice I would like a gift card to Target 1st choice; Macys 2nd choice. How about you? I will definitely buy something for my cat probably a toy.

 

Some posters read only the title, or just the title and the OP. 

 

The OP herself titles her thread ‘what do you want’ and follows it up with mentioning gift cards. Of course people assume the thread is intended to be about the gifts people want. Some responses will be concrete, some philosophic, some involving memories. 

 

I personally think that to spark questions about a holiday that centers around both family and memories more than any other, and then to later (after having said nothing early on) lament that people have said “sad” things when the OP wanted it to be “happy” is pretty disingenuous at worst, clueless at best - and hurtful to those who shared their wish to be reunited with deceased loved ones.

 

I don’t honestly feel that this is a thread “gone wrong/gone off the rails” in the sense that often happens here.

 

And if I were the OP, I wouldn’t have said anything about the sad/happy perception, knowing it would hurt those who had shared those personal memories and wishes.


Sorry, I don’t think it takes a special talent to figure out what the subject was meant to be about.  

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,504
Registered: ‎05-23-2010

Re: What do you want for Christmas?


@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I understand the OP’s point because it happens so often.  New posts that sound fun, too often turn into a collection of long sad posts.  The original intent doesn’t have a chance.  It also holds true for any mention of a holiday except maybe Halloween.

 

 


 

 

But when someone starts a thread, they are the ones who title it, and the Original Post is/should be a guide as to what they intend/how they hope a thread will go. If a thread starts to go in a direction the OP doesn’t want, it’s up to them to say something about that, specifically.

 

Thread title/OP:

 

What do you want for Christmas?

It's not a big deal for me and I guess if I had a choice I would like a gift card to Target 1st choice; Macys 2nd choice. How about you? I will definitely buy something for my cat probably a toy.

 

Some posters read only the title, or just the title and the OP. 

 

The OP herself titles her thread ‘what do you want’ and follows it up with mentioning gift cards. Of course people assume the thread is intended to be about the gifts people want. Some responses will be concrete, some philosophic, some involving memories. 

 

I personally think that to spark questions about a holiday that centers around both family and memories more than any other, and then to later (after having said nothing early on) lament that people have said “sad” things when the OP wanted it to be “happy” is pretty disingenuous at worst, clueless at best - and hurtful to those who shared their wish to be reunited with deceased loved ones.

 

I don’t honestly feel that this is a thread “gone wrong/gone off the rails” in the sense that often happens here.

 

And if I were the OP, I wouldn’t have said anything about the sad/happy perception, knowing it would hurt those who had shared those personal memories and wishes.


Sorry, I don’t think it takes a special talent to figure out what the subject was meant to be about.  

 

 


 

 

Nor do I - what gifts you want for Christmas - as the OP clearly stated.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all