Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you usually do the day after Thanksgiving?

We always put up our Christmas Tree and outdoor decorations the day after Thanksgiving.

I used to do the Black Friday thing when I was in my 20s, but I don't feel the need to do that anymore.  I have two young girls and most of my shopping is done online now that Toys R Us has closed down. 

Honored Contributor

Regroup.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely nothing .... well maybe fix myself a turkey sandwich ...

But that's it .....

Esteemed Contributor

Regroup sums it up. I'll also promise myself I'm going to the gym and make it 50% of the time. But this year, I'm going to the gym the day after  Thanksgiving. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Years ago, and I mean when my daughter and son were babies/children and when Black Friday was only that day, six family members (me included) would go on an annual Black Friday shopping event. 

Each year on that day, one of us would have previously purchased a big box of chocolate candy for the event.  We would start out very early in the morning to start going from store to store, bargain to bargin and when we needed 'energy' we would pop at chocolate or two.  We would laugh and have a good time and, usually, the box of chocolates would be gone by the time we finished our crazy shopping.  It was a fun time and we all laugh and reminisce about it now. 

These days, the kids are now adults and many have their own children.  I avoid the stores on that day.  But to be honest, Black Friday is not the same as it was years ago.  So many stores and vendors have great Black Friday sales going on the entire month of November, so the traditional Black Friday, day after Thanksgiving, is not any different than any other sale day of the month.   

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Valued Contributor

This was a neat idea for a post, I enjoy hearing what others are doing post-feast. 

Our family drives a couple of hours away to the farm in the country. We (three generations) spend the day riding ATV's and making smores over an open fire. A couple of nice long walks through the woods too. Usually my Dad tries to scare us in some way (one time he had placed a plastic skeleton by one of the trails lol). By the time we head home we are all tired but in a good way. 

Then we polish off the Thanksgiving left overs when we get back to my parents and fight over who gets first shower Smiley Very Happy

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

I either stay very local, Lord and Taylor around the corner, this year we are buying my DH a cell phone, is his retiring in April and will no longer have an office phone, I figure Black Friday will be a good day to get it, but then again I might just shop on line

When i was younger and Black Friday was not as big I would take the express bus in to NY and go to Macys, it was a thrill to stand at Hearld Square where less than 24 hours ago the parade had been

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

@SunSprite   Your ideas sound great!!!   I generally start putting away the fall decor and bring out the Christmas decor (as others have stated).   I relax, take my time and enjoy it even though it is work.  I feel it's all so worth the beauty I get to enjoy for the season.  By lunch time I will be enjoying a glass of wine while Christmas carols playSmiley Happy  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many years ago, I loved getting up really early on Black Friday to shop the sales. I would go out with 3 of my friends and stand in line at 4am waiting for the stores to open. Back then,a 5am store opening was considered "early" for Black Friday. We started out at a big box store that opened at 5am, were in and out by 5:30am, then headed to the Toys R Us store (2 of my friends had small children). The store would be so crowded that the 2 of us who did not have children to shop for would get in line with empty carts while the girls with children would search the store for the toys they needed. They would run the toys up to us with the waiting carts. By the time they found what they wanted, we would be pretty close to the checkout. Then the friends who were buying the toys would take over at the checkout while my other friend and I would hit the Starbucks for coffee. 

Then it was off to the Mall (across the street). We all had our lists and would pretty much go separate ways then meet up again at the food court at a specific time. Eat. Load up the cars. Back to shopping. We were pretty much finished by early afternoon. I loved the the "rush" of getting/finding a great gift at a bargain price, the holiday music, the mall "smells" (evergreens, Mrs Fields cookies and Cinnabon) and even sitting down on a bench to "people watch".  

Now, the big box store that we shopped at is long gone. Toys R Us has closed. The Mall across the street is not crowded during the holidays. (and they closed the Cinnabon!). My Christmas shopping is done pretty much all on-line. I am actually DONE this year. Not as many people to buy for and already found the items/sales and free shipping that I wanted. 

For the past 11 years, I worked at a job where I did not have the day after Thanksgiving off. My company closed this year, I decided to retire early, so this is the first time in a long time that I can do whatever I want the day after Thanksgiving. I will probably finish decorating the inside of my house, if there is anything left to do. My brother is coming over tomorrow to help me get all of my decorations up from the basement, and  we will put the outside lights up since it is going to be a nice day.

Honored Contributor

Wonderful reading all these responses.