Super Contributor

Re: What do you think will disappear in the near future?

On 12/26/2014 Plaid Pants said:

They've been "predicting" that land-lines are going to go the way of the horse and carriage for years now.

I don't think that they'll ever go away.

I also don't think desktop and laptop computers will ever go away 100%.

There will always be printed books, (imho).

Just like even though we live in a digital age, people still use phonographs, and play vinyl records.

Phonographs?! Who on earth still uses phonographs?

Honored Contributor

They've been "predicting" that land-lines are going to go the way of the horse and carriage for years now.

Just like even though we live in a digital age, people still use phonographs, and play vinyl records.

Hardly the norm and they are not in general production. I also own antiques.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I do not believe desktops will be the norm nor will landlines. I don't have stats but I'll bet the under 40 and under 30 have have far fewer landlines and the number opting for cell phones only will only increase with time IMO. I think we are moving toward multiuse mobile devices. "Traditional" TV viewing is affected by this also. I do not know how the mobile/internet/media system will look like in the future but 10 years from now there will be major changes.

Honored Contributor

Stamps. Snail mail.

Super Contributor

On 12/26/2014 glb613 said:

Natural gas

Coal

Oil

They've been saying that since I was in grade school. That was in the 80s.

Super Contributor

What do you mean by near future? 10 years? 50 years? I see glasses and contacts no longer necessary....eye problems will be corrected. Also, we will have chips Implanted in us... No need to fill out firms at the doctors etc.... Also retinas in our eyes will be better than fingerprints for identification.
Super Contributor

On 12/26/2014 santaslittlehelper said:

Hardly the norm and they are not in general production. I also own antiques.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I do not believe desktops will be the norm nor will landlines. I don't have stats but I'll bet the under 40 and under 30 have have far fewer landlines and the number opting for cell phones only will only increase with time IMO. I think we are moving toward multiuse mobile devices. "Traditional" TV viewing is affected by this also. I do not know how the mobile/internet/media system will look like in the future but 10 years from now there will be major changes.

Ahhhh, but here's the thing though. In the event of a natural (or un-natural) disaster, power can be out for days. Eventually that cell phone will need to be re-charged. A land-line doesn't have to be.

Also, when you call 9-1-1, from a cell phone, the dispatch operator won't see your address on their screen. Whereas, when you call 9-1-1 from a land-line, they will.

Plus, with a cell phone, you always have to worry about getting reception. A land-line, you don't.

As for laptops and desktops, you can do more with them than you can with an Ipad. As nice as Ipads are, they have their limits as to what they can do.

So, that's why land-line phones, laptop/desktop computers will never go away 100%.

There will always be a need for them.

Respected Contributor

Some have argued that personal cars will become too expensive and shared cars (Z cars? is that the company doing this now?) will become routine. I would like that.

I have very frequent outages of electricity (two today, one long one on Christmas eve, when I was trying to cook). I will keep my landline forever, as will most in South Florida. All a driver has to do is down a power pole, and thousands may lose their electricity. And in hurricanes and bad storms, we lose the cell towers first. ETA: In those situations, one can still call the power company, and call family, and post an update on the storm. Priceless when relatives are worried or services are needed.

I just upgraded my PC, as I work sometimes 12 hrs a day on it. I don't want a dinky little laptop. I still have a turntable for my vinyl records, with an option of putting them on CDs as well.

The powers that be would like everyone to switch to the new product because it means profits for them. But there will always be alternatives, too. I need my smart phone a lot--but I also need my landline in an emergency. Both are essential where I live.

Esteemed Contributor

I think cable television is taking a real hit with Netflix and Hulu. Every year I re up my contract for cable and each year they send a letter saying that they enjoy me as a customer and will only be raising my bill by $50-90 a month. (it has gone up over the years). Of course I call up and threaten to cancel if it doesn't stay the same price and they finally agree. This year, the letter said there would be no increase at all. I do believe that those other options are threatening cable and I think they have lost quite a few customers over it. I know of several families who have completely cancelled cable altogether and have gone with Netflix, Hulu, etc...

I wonder what their future looks like.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Cash.
Esteemed Contributor

My daughter is 20 and vinyl LPs are all the rage!