Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of this?

I write “Misdirected” and leave it for the post office to pick up the next day.  In today’s world, so many of us do not even open our door to any stranger (myself included). And I read it here all the time.  I would not be upset she wasn’t more pleasant. 

Esteemed Contributor

You were kind to do that.  I would have done the same thing and, like you, I would have been surprised and disappointed at her rudeness.  You'd think we'd be used to this kind of behavior by now, and yet it still comes as a surprise to me.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I know you thought you were being helpful, but it is illegal. One should place it back in the mailbox, or call delivery service to pick up, and let the post office or delivery company handle it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

if we dont know the person, i dont deliver it. i give it back to whichever company delivered it and let the driver know that they made a mistake and i hand it back to him/her.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom  almost choked on my coffee with your 

not my circus , not my monkeys line. 

i'll have to remember that one.  

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

@sidsmom  almost choked on my coffee with your 

not my circus , not my monkeys line. 

i'll have to remember that one.  

@kittyloo

Can’t take credit...it’s been around for awhile. 

If you Google image the phrase, there are cute memes. 

🚫🎪🚫🐵

Respected Contributor

I understand the poster‘s desire to be helpful , especially in this day of porch pirates, etc. seemed innocent enough. Receiver might have had bad day but still unfortunate she came across that way.
I had similar experience with new neighbor when her dogs got out of fence. I noticed and (knowing she had baby in house) I tried to catch and return home. She came out and basically accused me of letting out. I was shocked. After couple of years have found out from others that she is difficult to deal with. And the dogs, they bark outside hours at a time.
Respected Contributor

We try to be helpful  whenever possible. On trac is notorious for screwing up so we try to rectify as they usually compound their mistakes.

Esteemed Contributor

Unless I knew the neighbor.....now a days I probably wouldn't have taken it to them........20 years ago....I would have

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Friday I had a package delivered to us that wasn't ours.  It was our address but it said "Apt 2" on it and a different name than ours.  There's a townhouse type apt complex at the end of our street so yesterday about 11:30 I walked up and knocked on the door.  Knocked again.  A woman answered - said the name on the pkg was her daugher.  Instead of thanking me she told me I woke her up - that she worked midnight Friday night.  Gee sorry.  No good deed goes unpunished as they say.  I hated to give it back to the post office - afraid they'd just return to sender.  And wouldn't you think the mailman might realize where it was meant to go?  

@FranandZoe  People have bad days and hard lives; mail carriers and others make mistakes.  None of it was directed at you personally, so you are the fortunate one!  It was kind and nice of you to take the package over.  Smiley Happy