Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of this wedding invitation?

@FranandZoe wrote:

To clarify - again:

My girlfriend told me that only I was invited - not hubby; invitation is addressed to both of us.

Thanks again everyone but no need to reply further.

And ps - the way I'm feeling now - if I have to take hubby in a wheelchair he's going lol.  And if he can't make it - like if he's in the hospital - it's going to be too bad - I'll just give a bigger check.

Ack!  So the invitation was addressed to both of you?  That would make me automatically think the both of you were invited.

But....since she's verbally informed you he's not invited, then I wouldn't 'take hubby in a wheelchair he's going...'.

I realize with good friends, dynamics are different than just *casual aquaintances* in these instances and a friend could go and have a blast with all the other friends there, including married couples that you're good friends with.

I'd decline only because I knew my husband wanted to attend, but wasn't invited.  I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself and especially being there by myself--under those circumstances.

I wouldn't send a 'bigger check' for no good reason, either.

I would decline the invite.  But... I would not scribble down why I'm not attending, not the place to do so--under those circumstances.

Esteemed Contributor

I personally wouldn't go without my husband. Send a check in a card  and let it go. 

Esteemed Contributor

Since the bride sent a physical invitation to the wedding, that was addressed to you and your husband, while the M.o.t.B, only had a verbal  invite, I would go to the wedding with my husband, and have as much fun as possible.

Written trumps verbal, besides, it's the bride who invited you both, you know, the one who is actually getting married?

Only you can decide if this is egregious enough to end a 50 year friendship.

But I would definitely have a heart-to-heart with her at some point after the wedding.

Explain how you and your husband felt when she excluded him, and give her a chance to explain why she did what she did. The longevity of the friendship deserves at least that much.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Or rather lack of?

My "best friend's" daughter is getting married the end of October.  She sent her invitations out Monday.  My husband has had a lot of health problems in the last year - broken bones and surgeries.  He broke his arm 3 weeks ago.  Was in the hospital 10 days due to this and cellulitis.

He broke his shoulder  last September - had four surgeries with the last one in January.  He has never really recovered. 

He broke his pelvis last August.  He has another health issue that causes very low sodium and seizures.  He falls a lot due to balance problems.

Anyway I have been telling my friend for months that he may not be able to attend.

He's weak and has a hard time getting around.  He's lost abot 40 pounds in the last year due to so many hospitalizatios. 

He said recentlly though that he had every intention of going. 

I  mentioned this to my friend yesterday and she advised that they did not invite him.  They sent the invitation to me only.  I was floored.  She said they had to cut down on the invitations due to Covid numbers increasing.

I told hubby about this and he was even ore shocked - and angry - than I was.

Does one ever send a wedding invitation to a married person without including their spouse?  Let alone a "best friend" of 50 years?  And couldn't she have mentioned it to me beforehand?  Well I guess she did - before I received the invitation. 

But isn't this rather rude to not include him?  What harm would there have been?  I would certainly have notified them in time if he was not going to attend.  Beyond this who wants to attend a wedding alone?  

So my solution is to just not attend.  But should I tell them why or just decline?

And what's your opinion of all this?  

@FranandZoe   I had to paragraph your post in order to get the sequence of this story.

First, you husband has had some serious health issues and I'm sure all of this has not been easy on you, too.  I am sorry the both of you are dealing with these issues.

You did say you have been telling your friend for months about all of his conditions/hospitalizations/falling down, etc.

Here is my take on this situation, fwiw.

First, the invitation should have been addressed to both in better times.

However, whether or not your husband was intending to go cannot be certain considering his condition.  

I think your friend is not insensitive to his health; I think she made a error in manners but then again if they are limited to the number of attendees due to Covid then that is understandable.

Your friend wanted to share the day with you and your husband but given all you told her, the limit on guests for Covid, and the concern she may have had that it might be too much for him-all factors in.

While it would be his decision, had she sent the invite to both and you both accepted and then could not make it, she's now shuffling lists and costs.

This really isn't about you and your husband.  Your friend is preparing for the wedding of her daughter and while your concerns are valid, they are not at the top of her to-do list.

I would cut her some slack.  After 50 years of friendship, do you really want to throw all that away over an invitation?

Simply decline to attend and send a gift.  If you make this about you, she may decide you are not honoring the friendship, too.

This is a two-sided situation.

Wish the daughter all the best and let it be.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

Well looks like I'm the lone wolf here, but I don't see a problem. While I sympathize with the OP's husband, she basically stated he's been in hospitals or laid up at home due to numerous ONGOING & CURRENT health issues for the past few years. She also stated she told her friend about these issues. In addition to outright stating she didn't think he could attend to said friend.

I'm guessing they just invited the wife because they certainly got the hint from the wife that her husband wouldn't be able to go multiple times via multiple conversations between friends. So why be upset about something you told your friend wasn't going to happen (him attending)?

If I was the wife & this upset me-I'd call my best friend to discuss.

This isn't a case of just not inviting a healthy able bodied individual---in that case the wife would have more reason to be upset, rightfully so.
Honored Contributor

A good reminder not to react without having all the facts. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The OP has stated twice that the invitation came and it was addressed to both her and her husband. Her friend made a mistake in judgment when she told her that they were going to have to exclude the OP's husband because of Covid restrictions. But the friend evidently had a change of heart. The situation was rectified and both were invited. No reason to end a 50 year friendship over this. Either go and have a great time or don't go but I would not stew over this. It's not likely that she said what she said to deliberately hurt the OP. She just had a lapse in judgement. All's well that ends well.

Honored Contributor

It really helps to read before continuing to respond.

The OP has stated she did NOT have the physical invitation when she started this thread. She has since rec'd it and it was addressed to she and her husband. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very poor form to address the invitation only to you although I have attended weddings alone in the past before I was married.

Answer to your question:  I would decline but not go into details unless your friend asks.

@FranandZoe  Now I've read more of the responses.  So you got an invitation correctly addressed to both of you. And it was your friend who said it was only for you.  She was doing you a favor by not expecting your ill husband to go.  I see no problem with your friend.

Honored Contributor

Wow, just WOW.  Just when you think you've heard or seen it all, another shocker happens.  What a tacky, hurtful, and terrible way to treat a friend, especially one of 50 years. I wouldn't attend without my husband either.  When we each said "I do" we became a package deal.  Shame on your "friend".