Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of the new show Super Girl?

I've always wondered why the people at the top place all of the popular/good shows on at the same time?  'One would think' (mainly me) that spreading shows all around would bring in more revenue/sales re: commericals.  If/when we are switching channels during commercials, lots of commercial time and money is being wasted.  Right? 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched it last nght and enjoyed it.

I am taken to Super People movies every once in a while and this show reminds me of them.

I thought the cast were quiteelightful.

By the way, OP, IT's supposed to be ridiculous.

Guess my immaturity and love of silliness must be why it appealed to me.

I have too much reality in my life right now. Hope it lasts through the season!

Respected Contributor

Stephen Colbert had the star of Super Girl on his show and he said that watching it made him tear up.  Her response to that was, "awww, thanks."  But, did others tear up too? Why would someone tear up about a make believe super girl?   I think maybe because people really want a super being to save society from danger.    Your thoughts?   

Honored Contributor

I really liked it a lot! I thought the actors were very good (and I'm pretty picky i think). I also liked how they "upgraded" the character of Jimmy Olson. Also liked how they included another colleague to be her confidant.And Calista Flockart in this role didn't annoy me like she usually doesSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@foundinlv wrote:

Stephen Colbert had the star of Super Girl on his show and he said that watching it made him tear up.  Her response to that was, "awww, thanks."  But, did others tear up too? Why would someone tear up about a make believe super girl?   I think maybe because people really want a super being to save society from danger.    Your thoughts?   

It made me tear up, too.  And the reason is very far from wanting a superhero to save society.

It made me tear up because she was doing it with love.  Anything done with love is so much more powerful.  And I felt proud of her that she lived up to her concept of herself.  My reaction had nothing to do with anyone "saving society."

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@foundinlv wrote:

It made me tear up, too.  And the reason is very far from wanting a superhero to save society.

It made me tear up because she was doing it with love.  Anything done with love is so much more powerful.  And I felt proud of her that she lived up to her concept of herself.  My reaction had nothing to do with anyone "saving society."

Hmmmm, well that's interesting.  Thanks for your input.  

Respected Contributor

I try to give all new shows a chance but this is not for me.  I have never been able to get into shows that are not realistic.  Never understood the star trek, star wars, superman phenomenom even as a child.  It is good there is something for everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

I watched it last nght and enjoyed it.

I am taken to Super People movies every once in a while and this show reminds me of them.

I thought the cast were quiteelightful.

By the way, OP, IT's supposed to be ridiculous.

Guess my immaturity and love of silliness must be why it appealed to me.

I have too much reality in my life right now. Hope it lasts through the season!

I liked it also, hope it lasts.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Didn't anyone else find the show empowering to women? The comparison to Super MAN is handled very deftly and thoughtfully.

There are "good " characters here, "bad" characters and some "not so sure" characters, interesting to me. 

I just realized that as the mom in a very Male household, I've been living with Super Heroes for A LONG TIME! 

I loved "Ant Man" because of its comedic tones and simple, straght forward plotline.

I guess some of my kids actually HAS rubbed off on me, and I'm glad!

Trusted Contributor

I have been so looking forward to this show - I miss LOIS & CLARK w/Teri & Dean (cool that Dean Cain & Helen Slater -  who was the 1984 film SUPERGIRL - play her Earth parents). 

Think they chose a 20s age for Supergirl (who was a young teenager in the comic books) to get a better actress, & indeed they did with Melissa Benoist.

They definitely want a family (not kid) show that little girls can look to a role model in behavior, whether you are super or not.  Think Melissa is a heckuva lot better choice than sexy pop singers or the Kardashians!

Do wish it was on any night but Mon., as I too have to DVR & record 4 other shows already on Mon.  I hope it lasts at least 5 yrs!