Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of painting bricks on a home

No. IMO bricks are usually chosen so that paint is not needed to maintain the finish of a building. Brick is innately self-sustaining.

Trusted Contributor

Painted brick has its place, but does require regular maintenance. Perhaps the homeowner wanted to distinguish his or her home from the others in the neighborhood. With landscaping and contrasting shutters I imagine it's lovely, although I've only seen outdoor painted brick used on older homes.

dee

Valued Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Image result for white wash brick homes

I think they ruined this beautiful home..

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't buy a new brick home and paint it.  If I wanted a white house, I'd buy a white house.

Respected Contributor

For me, it depends upon the house style and color of the original brick.  In our area during the late 60s early 70s a lot of ranch homes were built with a yellowish tan colored brick.  When painted they look much better in my opinion.

Respected Contributor

IMG_2252.JPGI think it depends.   It can either look really good or really bad 

Respected Contributor

We have had a couple of brick homes over the years in different states.  The only one we ever painted was already painted jailhouse grey, just awful but the price was right.  We painted it white and added black shutters and red lava stone all around with beautiful new plants, a black iron bench and bannister on the porch and our neighbors all thanked us.  My point is I would never paint brick unless it was already painted.  Natural brick is beautiful!

Sorry someone messed up the look of your son's neighborhood?  Are there HOA rules about this?

Honored Contributor

Whomever has a brick house:  I'm sure you know this.  Be careful who you hire to clean/wash your brick house.  In our neighborhood, a neighbor had their reddish brick house power washed several years ago.  There must have been a bleach solution (or something similar) in the sprayer, because ever since that time, the brick house has bleached-looking areas.  What a shame. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I saw an all-brick house getting a makeover. It had painted green brick and the owners were sandblasting the paint off of the bricks. It's a very old house from back in early 1900s. I drove by it recently to see what it looked like and oh my was it ever beautiful with the original red brick! I'm glad they took off that paint.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Whomever has a brick house:  I'm sure you know this.  Be careful who you hire to clean/wash your brick house.  In our neighborhood, a neighbor had their reddish brick house power washed several years ago.  There must have been a bleach solution (or something similar) in the sprayer, because ever since that time, the brick house has bleached-looking areas.  What a shame. 

When we built out home, I chose a brick that had several colors on it.  Over the years, some of the finish weathered off.  I have some new bricks stored in the basement in case I would ever need to replace any and the ones on the house  are not the same color as the ones that are In my basement anymore.

i have some green moss on the brick by my front porch and will not let my DH power wash it.  I think it will remove more of the color.

i would never paint over brick because the paint peels and fades off.  Paint is so expensive, it would cost a fortune to repaint it every couple of years.  I just purchased a gallon of white paint to redo some wood trim around our garage door and the trim around our front door.  I cost me almost $90.  I am glad the labor will be free.