Honored Contributor

What do you think of painting bricks on a home

My son lives in a beautiful gated subdivision and all of the homes are brick.These homes are no more than five years old and very stylish looking.Today he sent me a picture of one home that was just painted all white over the brick.He said the neighborhood is really upset that the homeowner did this and I have to wonder what they were thinking.The house just stands out and not in a good way. The home is for sale but I don't think the paint job is going to help.I thought the beauty of brick was low maintenance.

Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of painting bricks on a home

I've never been a fan of painted brick.  Natural is so pretty!

Honored Contributor

I love painted or white washed brick.

Respected Contributor

We moved into a similar neighborhood last year.  All the homes are nice and well maintined.  At the end of my street, there is a house that the brick was painted over.  Even looks a little "gloopy" and think.  The owners are also new, they moved in two months after we did.  I don't care for it at all.  It doesn't look good.  I like the brick better. 

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette I have always loved brick but it is too expensive in my area.I just love looking at all of the homes when I visit my son.Where he lives most homes are largely brick.

Respected Contributor

DO  NOT  LIKE.

Honored Contributor

Once you start, there's no end to the maintenance and upkeep.  If I wanted to buy the house but hated the paint, I'd have it sandblasted, removing most but not all of the paint for an antique brick look. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Image result for white wash brick homes

Honored Contributor

Image result for white wash brick homes

Honored Contributor

I've never cared for painted brick.  Some does look good, but it's a lot of work to keep it up.  They may find that out the hard way. 

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."