Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of kids playing on someone's property who's away?

They're just playing and they're just kids. It's not your yard. Leave them be.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I would mention it to your neighbor.

We are away for weeks at a time in the summer. This summer, a kid came into our yard and stole three cantaloupes that weren't ripe yet, then told me they tasted awful.  I never saw this kid, but one time,  and still have no idea who is is or where he lives.

We had a basketball hoop in our driveway and had to take it down.  Kids were in our driveway playing all of the time...some we didn't know.  They dented our garage doors and cars and woke my DH up during the day time with that pounding basketball when he worked nights.

We also have an RV that might be parked my in the driveway if we are packing it for a trip.  Kids have gone inside and climbed all over it.  They have gotten into our garage and helped themselves to ice cream and threw the paper all over our yard, to soft drinks and to beer.

Kids were even getting drinks from our garden hose and forgetting to turn the water off.    

The problem is, once kids feel comfortable on your property, they invite their friends and before you know it, you have kids everywhere.  Sometimes they look for trouble.

I always want to know who is on my property...it doesn't matter if I am home or not.  I'd want a neighbor to tell me what's happening when I am away.

If it is your neighborhood, it is your business.  Too many people just turn away and ignore because they don't want to get involved.  Kids and adults know this and take advantage.  Many bad situations could  have been avoided if someone spoke up.

Honored Contributor

when we were growing up we were NEVER allowed to go into any one 's yard if they were not home. we had to knock on door to check with the Mr.& Mrs if we could play on their swingset or anything else. if no one answered we were told to stay out if no one answered. my parents always knew if we did anything wrong, they would punishs  us if they found out if we were doing something wrong. The punishment was strong and severe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Us and the three neighbors around us always, always watch out for one another- we see something not right we speak up or call one another, whether we're out of town or not..

Sorry but one can't be too careful nowadays, it being kids', adults, vehicles or not.  People can call me Mrs. Kravitz all they want but we all watch, look and listen. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I honestly cannot think of any good reason why you would get involved in this.  

As an aside, I wouldn't care about the neighbor kids playing in my driveway or on my lawn except that they always seem to be playing there with hard balls or something that could cause damage if it hits the house or windows.  

I do agree that kids should play in their own yards unless they have permission to be in someone else's yard but that's not really the question here.   

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 

I am curious. Did you speak to your neighbor upon her return?

Respected Contributor

We were taught to not play in a yard unless you were invited.  With that being said, when we travel, I always tell my neighbors on either side to please use the pool if they would like to.  Maybe they had permission?

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@haddon9 

I am curious. Did you speak to your neighbor upon her return?

No I have not.  I've been away just as she was returning and haven't gotten a chance to speak with her at all.

Honored Contributor

Many years ago my FIL was in the hospital with heart issues- we came back from the hospital and a bunch of kids had opened in-laws back yard gate, made themselves at home playing basketball..  OH hail NO.. that very night, which was late, my husband and his brother took said basketball goal down.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I think children should play in their own back yard, front yard or driveway but no one else unless invited and you approve.

kindness is strength