Respected Contributor

Re: What do you think of kids playing on someone's property who's away?

@Susan Louise Oh dear....I am truly sorry your neighbors are so awful.  🙁

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't mention it to the folks who aren't home. If the kids repeat it when your neighbour is home they can shoo the kids away if they desire.

Honored Contributor

I was raised in an era where you were never on someone's property unless invited, and they were home. We had tons of kids in the neighborhood, we all played in the street and in each other's yards and in the park that bordered our neighborhood, but we NEVER went on to the property of the retired or childless. It was just a rule (and I think a good one).

I personally would leave it alone, and stay out of the neighbors business, but I would worry about legalities and someone getting hurt and holding me responsible, if it were my property. People are sue happy these days, and honestly, some of the things I've seen my own distant family do, in suing business and even their own kids, I really don't trust anybody when it comes to that kind of stuff. 

Most people today don't seem to worry about such things. So I guess I'd just worry about me and my property, and if they ask, I'd tell them who was there and what they were doing, but otherwise, stay out of it, unless they have made it clear to you they don't want people on the property when they are gone.

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

I agree and it sounds like it's time to seriously consider moving.

Respected Contributor

If the kids are setting something on fire or tearing up the shrubs and flower beds I say myob. When your neighbors come home you may want to tell them about the neighborhood kids playing on their lawn. If you call them now or text them and they ask you to run the kids off you will be the bad guy. It's not your problem. Tell them when they when they come home and let them handle it. 

Respected Contributor

Unless there is property damage being done, mind ya bidness..

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

@haddon9  Unfortunately, not everyone has those kind of funds to move.

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@alicedee wrote:

@haddon9  Unfortunately, not everyone has those kind of funds to move.

@Susan Louise   I'm sorry to hear about your situation.  

Valued Contributor

Year ago my son had a friend, so naturally, I tried to be friends with his mother.  She came over one day while the boys played in the above ground pool and she took her year or old so daughter in the pool.  

While climbing the ladder to get out, her daughter slipped from her hands, but she caught her.  I was so shook up so I told my husband what happened.  He said there is no way they can ever come back.

Well, I had to tell her that she could no longer bring the babay to swim.  Her answer was, "That is why you have home owners insurance. "  So after that, none of the kids or adults were ever allowed over.

Honored Contributor

@Warrior2022 wrote:

Year ago my son had a friend, so naturally, I tried to be friends with his mother.  She came over one day while the boys played in the above ground pool and she took her year or old so daughter in the pool.  

While climbing the ladder to get out, her daughter slipped from her hands, but she caught her.  I was so shook up so I told my husband what happened.  He said there is no way they can ever come back.

Well, I had to tell her that she could no longer bring the babay to swim.  Her answer was, "That is why you have home owners insurance. "  So after that, none of the kids or adults were ever allowed over.

@Warrior2022  Sounds like the kind of neighbors we have to deal with...such backwards thinking on so many levels. Of coarse no mention of HER being a more responsible parent...respectful neighbor/friend.