Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think of kids playing on someone's property who's away?

@haddon9 wrote:

@Imaoldhippie   Thanks for your thoughts...I usually do mind my own business but was wondering what others thought...no need to shout at me.

@haddon9 Nope. You REALLY need to tell them the kids were playing in their driveway.

I had a terrible time stopping the kids across the street from skateboarding off their driveway catty corner across the street from ours.  Their driveway was on a steep slope so they would come across and circle on ours.  

They would go fast and you didn't see them backing out from our garage until they were right behind the car.  Scared me for them to do it.  They couldn't see our door come up either. 

I yelled at them several times and finally went to talk to their mother who got angry with me.  I told her I cared whether or not I backed over one of them and killed them and went home. 

It is a liability to let kids play in your yard.  Some people will be fine with it and some not, but anyone should be informed so they can make the decision.  And maybe save a life. 

Respected Contributor

Kids play all over here. Don’t like the vandalism. And if something is left in my yard the next morning I toss it. There was a nice black cowboy hat that sat in the rain last week. Yup, it went in the trash.

Trusted Contributor

Sounds like you are friends with your neighbor, since you talk on the phone. I would mention it to her when she gets home. I think she should know  because what if someone got hurt on her property. I would want to know if it was my house. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9  would want to know if kids were on my property when I wasn’t home. Mention it to your neighbor. Just say “maybe you have an understanding with these children that they can play on your property when you’re not home, but with all the vandalizing and lawsuits these days, I thought you might want to know.” If you would want to know yourself, your neighbor would probably appreciate the information as well.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 That would be a good way to bring it up.  If it were me, I would say, “I hope you don’t think I’m being nosy....but I would want to know if it happened on my property, so I thought I should tell you.”

Hey...if they are old enough to remember, substitute Gladys Kravitz for “nosy” !

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hmmm...I guess my DH and I are in the minority on this subject.

1st, let me just say we have no kids. We live in a house with a driveway that is at about a 30 degree angle, so the neighborhood kids loved to ride their bikes, roller skates, skateboards up and down it.

We DO NOT approve or allow it whatsoever. When we catch them, we tell them to stop and play elsewhere. We had a couple of parents come over and tell us we have no right to tell their children what to do and let their kids be kids.

I told the parents that IF their kids ever injured themselves on OUR property, they would sue us. They said yes they would because that is how the law works.

Well, isn't that neighborly? They have absolutely no respect for anyone but themselves...and they are teaching their children...the NEXT generation to be the same way.

Imagine that...this is OUR property...OUR driveway. Gotta love the me, me, me generation/s. Back when I was growing up I didn't need to be told to play in our yard and not in someone else's unless it was our friends and they were home/it was 'ok'.

SMDH

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

1st, let me just say we have no kids. We live in a house with a driveway that is at about a 30 degree angle, so the neighborhood kids loved to ride their bikes, roller skates, skateboards up and down it.

We DO NOT approve or allow it whatsoever. When we catch them, we tell them to stop and play elsewhere. We had a couple of parents come over and tell us we have no right to tell their children what to do and let their kids be kids.

I told the parents that IF they ever injured themselves on OUR property, they would sue us. They said yes they would because that is how the law works.

Well, isn't that neighborly? 

Imagine that...this is OUR property...OUR driveway. Gotta love the me, me, me generation/s. Back when I was growing up I didn't need to be told to play in our yard and not in someone else's unless it was our friends and they were home/it was 'ok'.

SMDH

I am horrified by this story, @Susan Louise .  If it were me I would call (or visit) my local police station and relay that entire conversation....and ask police how you should proceed to protect yourselves.  At least if you are in front of Judge Judy in the future there would be a record of you discussing your concerns.

Some people!

Respected Contributor

@Susan Louise   Condolences and commiseration about your awful neighbors.  My answer to them would be that they call it Private Property for a reason and that Public Property is called a park.

In attempt to protect myself from potential suits, I would send a signed letter to those parents advising them that, for their safety, the children are not to trespass and be sure to add a "Copy To:" notation to indicate a duplicate being filed with my insurance agent and /or attorney. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@alicedee wrote:

@Susan Louise wrote:

I told the parents that IF they ever injured themselves on OUR property, they would sue us. They said yes they would because that is how the law works.

Well, isn't that neighborly? 

SMDH

I am horrified by this story, @Susan Louise .  If it were me I would call (or visit) my local police station and relay that entire conversation....and ask police how you should proceed to protect yourselves.  At least if you are in front of Judge Judy in the future there would be a record of you discussing your concerns.

Some people!

@alicedee  Thanks for your reply Smiley Happy

Well, sadly, DH and I are surrounded by...hmmm...less than respectable folks. That is about as nice as I can put it. The neighbors to the west we had to take to court because they refused to do anything about their dog barking for hours every day. We won the case...either they had to put a no bark collar on their dog or give their dog up.

Neighbors to the east of us had indoor cats and started to feed a single ferrel cat, which then turned into 2, then add on two litters within 6 months. A whopping 13 cats were using all of our gardens as a litter box...all that nice soft easily scratchable dirt ya know...oy. So after trying to talk reason/common sense with those neighbors and getting nowhere, DH put out traps every night with tuna in oil. He trapped all 13 cats AND 2 possoms!!! Every cat & possom went to the humaine society. The process took about 3 weeks.

There are just no words.

Oh, and then our neighbors to the north had kids that kept throwing balls into our backyard...damaging bushes/plants, denting the air conditioning unit and nearly clocked me when I was sitting on our patio! After awhile there was no way it wasn't intentional...not oopsies. At 1st we would just toss their balls back over the fence. When our property started to get damaged, DH had to take the walk over and talk with their father. His mindset was it was their balls and we are expected to give them back. He did not believe the balls would do all that damage. Well, little did they know I started taking pics and that is when DH started putting up security cameras. 

We also can't put out Christmas decorations. Some were stolen one year and the next day I replaced them only to have the same juvenile delinquets come back the next night and try and take them again! Thank G-O-D DH had our security cameras then. He was actually going through the videos for the day when he saw them running up to the house and told me to open the front door. I actually ran a couple of blocks down the street after them to give THEM a good scare.

Unfortunately since they were wearing hoods they couldn't be ID'd when we called the police.

So, that is why if DH and I ever win the lottery, the 1st thing we want to buy is an acreage large enough so we can't see neighbors in any direction...ever again.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@Susan Louise   Condolences and commiseration about your awful neighbors.  My answer to them would be that they call it Private Property for a reason and that Public Property is called a park.

In attempt to protect myself from potential suits, I would send a signed letter to those parents advising them that, for their safety, the children are not to trespass and be sure to add a "Copy To:" notation to indicate a duplicate being filed with my insurance agent and /or attorney. 

@IamMrsG  Thank you, and for the info and I took down the info you gave so we have it for future references if these occurances start up again.