Respected Contributor

Re: What do you think of kids playing on someone's property who's away?

Kids will be kids.  I wouldn't confront the kids.  I would casually let the homeowner's know their property was being used as a playground while they were away.  Then its up to them to make a move if they choose to do so.

As kids we were told not to go in anyone's yard unless we were invited, otherwise stay out.  And for the most part that is what we did.  We would play out in the street - kickball, bouncing balls, pogo sticks, etc...I can recall an instance when a friend and I strayed off to pick some flowers out of a yard on a different street and almost got caught.  Never did it again.

We were pretty good kids for the most part.  Maybe these kids did have permission to use the basketball hoop anytime they wanted, but what if damage was done to the home by mistake - a broken window, a dented garage door, a light fixture knocked loose - I wouldn't want kids playing on my property in my absence.  I don't blame you for being concerned.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Call me what ever you want...I do not want the neighbor kids playing in my yard...we all have yards, play in the yard that your parents own,  or your friends parents own.  It's very simple...and parents should teach their kids to stay off other's people's yards.

I have seen my neighbor let their dog pee in the area round my mail box..I have plants growing there...I caught the person and told them to not to let their dog do that again....ridiculous, I should not have to tell an adult that...it's common sense, but I think there is very little of that today.

Trusted Contributor

My parents' rule for my brothers and I was not to go onto anyone's property (play in their yard) if 1). they weren't home and 2). if we didn't have their permission. Usually that meant that we were playing with the homeowners' kids and it was okay with their parents. It was a strict rule based as much on doing damage or getting hurt as it was on respecting others' property.

This was a rule that I had (actually still have) when my daughter was young. The neighborhood kids were okay to play in our yard only IF they were there with my daughter. It's a practical rule. I once had to stop two little kids who were climbing on the railing of a ramp porch on my house and could've fallen off. The drop wasn't much --  3 or 4 feet -- but they were little and would've been hurt. I told them the rule and they were wary of being in my yard again.

I'd mention it to the kids' parents, too. If they don't have permission their parents should know someone is paying attention. That ramp I mentioned was on a side of my house not visible from the street and next to a wooded area with a small creek. If I hadn't been home their parents would not even have known if something went wrong. I'm not even going to comment on why two three year olds were on their own....

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would wait and let your neighbor know when they get home, so if they want, they can talk to the parents.

I have the same problem and it happens when i,m home.  I spoke to the parents in a nice way and they don,t care.  My bush has been ruined, my little rocks scattered all over and was greeted by their two pit  bulls while putting out my garbage can one night.  They are high  lot all the time.  I live alone and am slderly, so I go out and sweep the rocks back everyday.  

I built a double side fence, because one on his pit bulls found it,s way in my kitchen through the open sliding door.  It ate through the single fence.

I use to water my back yard flowers with a 38 pistol in one hand and the hose in the other.  No one cares.  Look at some of the answers on here.  You are being a good neighbor and told to MYOB.  

Wait until they come home and say something, let them handle it

Respected Contributor

We don't mind at all.  We live in a nice neighborhood and the kids are so cute.  Our boys are grown but live nearby.  Whenever they stop by with the grandchildren, our backyard is full.  At least their parents know where they are.  Or at least in our neighborhood they do.  I am pretty sure they use our basketball goal when we aren't around.  Doesn't bother me or hubby. I really wouldn't say anything.  I like my neighbors and don't want to stir up trouble.

Honored Contributor

When my neighbor's dogs got loose and wandered over on my property I rounded them up and took them home. Those are very young kids,IMO they should be playing on their own driveway under their parents watchful eyes. I would tell your neighbor and let her handle it.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

We don't mind at all.  We live in a nice neighborhood and the kids are so cute.  Our boys are grown but live nearby.  Whenever they stop by with the grandchildren, our backyard is full.  At least their parents know where they are.  Or at least in our neighborhood they do.  I am pretty sure they use our basketball goal when we aren't around.  Doesn't bother me or hubby. I really wouldn't say anything.  I like my neighbors and don't want to stir up trouble.

@KentuckyWoman 

i live in this type of neighborhood also. i grew up in this type of neighborhood. i have got to say i am happy that i do after reading these responses.  i LOVE to see the kids playing outside. as long as they are not destroying any property or doing something out of the ordinary, then i am fine with them enjoying the outdoors and getting along. it reminds me of the coke commercial. lol

no major "problems" in our neighborhood either.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@KentuckyWoman 

i live in this type of neighborhood also. i grew up in this type of neighborhood. i have got to say i am happy that i do after reading these responses.  i LOVE to see the kids playing outside. as long as they are not destroying any property or doing something out of the ordinary, then i am fine with them enjoying the outdoors and getting along. it reminds me of the coke commercial. lol

no major "problems" in our neighborhood either.

@sunshine45 @KentuckyWoman 

I also live in a great neighborhood...It's very safe with a lot of great families...never any crime.  Over the years here I've been to block parties, weddings, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs and lots of graduation parties of my neighbors just on our cul de sac.

I love seeing kids playing outside too...they do all the time and don't destroy property.

However that doesn't mean something couldn't happen to one of the children.   They could  get injured on the property of a homeowner who wasn't at home.  As I mentioned one of the new neighbors is an attorney which makes me wonder if she would sue if her son was the one who was injured. 

Even in the best of neighborhoods children can still get hurt without adult supervision and who wants to be liable to another's injuries?!

Honored Contributor

I think you should mind your own business.  This really is none of your concern.  Not that there is anything to be concerned about.  Good grief, it's just kids playing.

Esteemed Contributor

Growing up we played everywhere but times have changed and people are sue happy. I would mention it just because of the liability if someone were to get hurt. Boys are rough and they play tough.