Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you think of kids playing on someone's property who's away?

MYOB.

Respected Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

MYOB.

YOUR RUDE

Respected Contributor

I would just keep an eye on the children since they appear to just be playing and creating no problems.  I would mention it to the neighbors when they return.  As you said, they may have given the neighbors children permission.

I have questioned people when they were on my neighbor's property.  My circumstances are vastly different.  I have one neighbor and we are on a private lane.  We have a long time practice of letting each other know when we will be away and whether we are expecting anyone at or around the house.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would let her know what was going on while she wasn't there.  Maybe she'll tell you it was ok, or maybe she'd be glad to know that someone was looking out for her while she was gone.  Personally,  I wouldn't want kids playing in my property. 

Esteemed Contributor

Unless you were specifically asked by the neighbor to mind her property I would stay out of it,period.

Honored Contributor

I think as a poster said text her now,or call her to let her know,and ease your mind.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Lots of issues w/this. 

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 .........Oh ok, I just capitalized because it was an abbreviation, sorry.  Ann Landers always did, LOL.

I will be more careful from now on.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't say anything.

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@haddon9   From the neighbors' perspective, I would want to know if, how and why my property was being used in my absence.  The supposition was made that she might carry umbrella insurance, but, then, maybe she doesn't.  Neither case should matter, though.

Something like this happened to DH and me several years ago.  We were called out of town for the weekend.  When we returned we discovered boys had helped themselves to our (locked fence) backyard pool.  Besides for the scary liability of that just alone, they did approximately $1,000 worth of damage to our property.  To add insult to injury, our next door neighbor admitted to having watched the whole event--without bothering to contact either us or the police.  It changed my opinion of our relationship. 

@IamMrsG   That's very upsetting!  I would have said something for sure then just like I did with the boy who was making a campfire with his friends....potentially scary stuff!  (unrelated but 7 years ago we saw our neighbor's house burn down...it was terrifying!) . 

I'm undecided about just minding my own business or mentioning that they were playing in the driveway.  I am friendly with but not close to them however they are great neighbors.