Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think about this - woman jailed for assaulting another with crying child?

@NUNYA wrote:

they were in the checkout. Maybe she took a toy off of him that he had picked up and wasn't intenting to buy. I probably would have tolerated his meltdown because they were leaving anyway

I think probably most of us would, but on the other hand, that's why it's come to be the norm, or at least "acceptable".  At some level, I commend her for calling the woman out on it even if it didn't work out so well for her.  I recall once saying something subtle, not to the lousy parent, but to the server at a fast food restaurant, and then did very much feel threatened by the child's father, who wanted to argue about his 'rights'.  It was clear he had a chip on his shoulder the size of a boulder and that the kid was probably going to face a pretty unsuccessful upbringing.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think about this - woman jailed for assaulting another with crying child?

I think she got off easy. A man would have gotten years in prison and deserved it.

As to screaming, misbehaving children, people need to speak up to management requesting that the offenders be asked to remove the child.

The brave should speak to the parents.

Honored Contributor

It's sad on so many levels.

That is what our society is turning into.

Respected Contributor

The only way i would EVER say something to someone if their child were crying MIGHT be if they were completely ignoring the child and were just letting it wail uncontrolably. And it would probably be something along the lines of "would you mind attending to your child. He/she appears to be very upset."

But the lady that followed the other one to the parking lot most definitely needs to be jailed. You can't assault someone because they make a comment like that to you. Anger management classes are definitely in order. And jail time.

Respected Contributor

I think the first woman is where she belongs. Regardless of what the second woman verbally said she did not follow the first woman out of the store and attack her. 

Respected Contributor

You want sympathy for a violent, out control, brute....just because she had a crying baby?  Really?  Wanna re-think that...lol   I think most of us have been forced to endure a crying baby or a whiny, screaming toddler; in a place where we should not have to be subjected to it.  For me, it was in my opthalmologist's office last week.    It can be aggravating but we ignore the situation and just get on with our business.  Nothing else we can do.  I don't fault the 2nd woman for asking the mother to quiet her baby, my assumtion is that woman is not a mom and doesn't know diddlysquat about babies. I think I would have been amused that she thought you can just ask a baby or any child for that matter to stop crying and you get immediate compliance.     Still, the culprit here is the one who stalked someone and then physically attacked her.  There is no excuse for that.  None whatsoever.      

Honored Contributor

News reports indicates the child was between the ages of 4 and 6, so it wasn't a baby or a toddler and at least theoretically should have been amenable to some sort of adult intervention...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Children are children and are going to disrupt their parents' and others when they are brought out in public and have a bad moment.  That's their job and they do it well, even the best raised ones 

Even I, as a non-parent, get that.  I had the best mom in the world with the best evil eye but even I could test boundaries once in a while.  I'm sure there were a bunch of people during the 70s and 80s that would have paid real money to see my spanking when I got home and were very disappointed it didn't happen in the middle of the A&P.  

We all need to give each other a break when we are out and remember that we only control ourselves.  It's not your world everyone lives in.  It's our world that lots of people live in.  You choose when you encounter a bad situation to either bear it or remove yourself from it.  

All of us have the same option we like to give to the bad parent, leave.  Go to a different check out line, restaurant table, another place of business, shop later when most families are in for the night or on a day you have more zen to you.  

Is that fair?  No.  But I personally would rather inconvenience myself for a bit every once in a while when I encounter this situation rather than stay and get aggravated for the rest of the day all just to spite the other adult who is behaving badly and has no common courtesy.   I can't control this person nor can they apparently control the child so I move along when I can and be thankful I don't live with them or the kid.    

Consideration with yourself and personal responsibilty on both sides usually works wonders more often than not.  

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

News reports indicates the child was between the ages of 4 and 6, so it wasn't a baby or a toddler and at least theoretically should have been amenable to some sort of adult intervention...

What do you think?  A sock in his mouth or 2 or 3 Ambien?  Or perhaps a mature discussion about appropriate behavior.....lol

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

In San Francisco, two women were waiting to check out at the Nordstrom Rack store. The first woman was babysitting her 2-year old nephew. She took a toy from him, and the boy started throwing a tantrum (of course that's NEVER happened to any of us!). The woman behind her in line "asked her to quiet the boy down" (in the 2nd woman's words). The first woman told her to "mind her own business" - again, this is all from the 2nd woman's perspective. The two women argued, then the first woman followed the 2nd to the parking lot, beat and punched, and sat on her. That was all caught on surveillance tape. No word on what she did with her nephew before she attacked the second woman. Now the first woman has been sentenced to 4 months in jail and has to attend anger management classes.

I certainly don't condone any violence, and I think the first woman went to extremes and should be punished.

But I have to wonder what would have happened if the second woman, who is 20, had been a little more sympathetic to a woman struggling with a crying child. I've been in that situation too (as the second woman) and the woman with a crying child will turn around and apologize. I always say, "That's OK - we've all been there," or "Must be nap time," or something else to put the woman at ease.

When DD was three she threw herself down on the floor of the mall, kicking and screaming. I could barely pick her up she was struggling so much. I got her to the car and put her in the car seat, while she was still sobbing and arching her back when I tried to get her in. We pulled out from the parking space and she was asleep before we left the lot! I got some strange looks, but no one was unkind. Today, the police would probably show up to investigate. 

Does anyone else who lives in the San Franciso area know anything else about this story?

Again, I think the woman should be punished and attend anger management classes, but I'm not sure I agree with the jail sentence. What do you all think? 

***Yes, but if someone had said something to you, would you have followed that person to the parking lot, beat up and punched and sat on him/her?  You don't sound like that kind of person to me.

In my opinion, this is not about what the child's behavior at all.  It's about the mother having serious issues.  I think she deserves the jail sentence and I'm glad to see she also got anger management classes.  You just can't go around beating people up because your child is screaming and someone happens to say something about it.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero