Honored Contributor

What do you think about brown sugar for hummingbirds?

We are 30 miles from stores.  I ran out of white sugar a couple days ago and substituted brown sugar in our two feeders.  Same sugar/water ratio of 4 to 1.  Well, they loved it, much more activity than normal.  Now we are back to white sugar and they have calmed down.  I've never put dye in my syrup, so I'm hoping whatever makes brown sugar brown didn't hurt them. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you think about brown sugar for hummingbirds?

Brown sugar contains molasses which is high is iron.  Too much iron can hurt hummingbirds.  Stick with cane sugar and water.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

I'm not an expert, but I don't think it should be a problem.  The difference between brown sugar and white sugar is that brown sugar has molasses.  Molasses is a dark, sweet, syrupy byproduct made during the extraction of sugars from sugarcane and sugar beets.  It's richer in flavor that white sugar.  Should be safe for the hummingbirds, and quite a treat for them and you!

Valued Contributor

6DD9A442-CC65-41F2-8300-1C58B6FA4B66.jpegI googled it because I was curious too .... answer is NO - do not use brown sugar

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, @Marp & @simplyfriends.... you sound like you know a lot more than I do!  Have go keep the birds healthy and safe!  Thanks for your reply.

Trusted Contributor

The instructions that came with our feeder say to only use white sugar, and white cane sugar is recommended.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for googling the information.  I hope the OP sees this.  Again to much wrong info and it can do harm to wild life and humans.

@simplyfriends

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

PLEASE do not use anything other than white sugar when making hummingbird food. 

Honored Contributor

@simplyfriends wrote:

6DD9A442-CC65-41F2-8300-1C58B6FA4B66.jpegI googled it because I was curious too .... answer is NO - do not use brown sugar

@depglass  Wanted to make sure you saw this.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

NO!!!