Honored Contributor

Re: What do you think about a Dr leaving his initials on an organ?

A friend of mine was a surgical nurse at a local hospital and she said there was a surgeon who would burn his initials into the flesh of patients while waiting for biopsy results. She finally quit her job because she found it very crude and unprofessional and no one was going to call him on it. She wouldn't tell me his name, but said he was a gynecologist.

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

It's seems weird but no way is it any type of assault.  The authorities just didn't like what he did but there was nothing they could charge him with.  It does make me wonder how often this type of thing happens. 

Respected Contributor

I would file a complaint with the hospital and the medical licensing board and the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healtcare Organizations (JCOAH).  I've had several Colonoscopies.  Doctors have removed dozens of polyps.  To my knowledge, no doctor has left any "marker" on my colon.  I'm not even sure that's established medical procedure.

Honored Contributor

You are free to do what you want. I am sure this is standard procedure at this hospital

I am not someone who runs around suing people, or lodging complaints  over nothing. I am thankful he is our Dr

Honored Contributor

snip

There are further management issues about this lesion that are beyond the scope of this article regarding surveillance of this lesion, need for surgery vs. repeat endoscopic inspection, etc. But I would like to bring up one general point about lesions like this: One should always consider marking the site of a “funny-looking” polyp with a tattoo, just in case you need to go back in the future to re-examine the site, or if a surgeon will need to find the site later to operate. Luckily, since this polyp looked a little ulcerated, I obeyed my own rule and placed a small endoscopic tattoo near the site to facilitate finding the exact spot in the future.