Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you personally consider lying to be? White lies, embellishing, evading certain details?.

@KarenQVC wrote:

I don't lie about facts, plain and simple.  If we do that we are psychotic, really.

Opinions are another matter.  They can be here, there, and everywhere, depending on mood and culture.

"Psychotic" ?

Really?

😄

So, I'm "psychotic" if I call in sick to work, but I am actually healthy, and just want the day off.

I am " psychotic " if I say to you that my weight is 150, but the reality is that I weigh 175.

😄 😄 😄 😄

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Re: What do you personally consider lying to be? White lies, embellishing, evading certain details?.

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

I don't lie about facts, plain and simple.  If we do that we are psychotic, really.

Opinions are another matter.  They can be here, there, and everywhere, depending on mood and culture.

"Psychotic" ?

Really?

😄

So, I'm "psychotic" if I call in sick to work, but I am actually healthy, and just want the day off.

I am " psychotic " if I say to you that my weight is 150, but the reality is that I weigh 175.

😄 😄 😄 😄

@Anonymous032819   *snort*

I always knew there was something wrong with you.  lmao

Woman LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

@Styleovertrend 

So it's okay to tell someone they're fat and ugly instead of saying they look nice? 

why would you tell someone that they are fat and ugly when you can instead say that they have a beautiful smile, lovely shade of blue eyes, or adorable shoes.  

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

@KarenQVC   Um-even a psychotic can have an opinion based on one's delusional perception.

Even your "facts" can be based on personal perceptions and preferences.

Psychotic is a harsh word-and not valid for this discussion.

Honored Contributor

@Styleovertrend wrote:

For me, small lies are lies. Lying to save hurt feeelings is lying. Also, embellishing a story so it contains things that didn't happen is lying as well as leaving out certain details when asked is being deceptive, which I consider lying. I would rather have someone tell me that they don't want to tell me something instead of offering me a lie. 

@Styleovertrend 

On paper, so to speak, you have a point.  However, you're not taking into consideration human nature.  You honestly think it's "lying" to prevent hurt feelings?  Really?  Didn't your parents ever even suggest being kind to others is a good thing?  Never?

Someties people don't really want the "truth" .... they want an opinion that just offers them some VALIDATION.   

Honored Contributor

If a person is thinking "You are fat, you are ugly, you have no taste in clothing, you have no style"-it doesn't matter if they say it to someone's face.

And I don't want to "hear" - "But I CARE about their health" or any other attempt to justify a remark.

Everytime I see something like that here-I'd like to see that person's picture/hair/clothing/body weight-y'all get what I'm saying.

Honored Contributor

I will quote my parents "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all". 

Honored Contributor

A lie is a lie.

However, I don’t think you should hurt someone’s feelings.

My daughter’s have always trusted my opinion.  For instance, if they are trying on clothes and the garment looks bad, they know I’ll say something like...”Maybe a shirt where the stripes go up and down would look better”. 

I’ve always said there are two ways of saying something.

I try not to lie because I have a bad memory and wouldn’t remember the lie.

I do know someone who is the biggest provocateur I’ve ever known.  She makes up lies just for the sake of lying.

Esteemed Contributor

Its easier to lie or to be decietful in other ways when we are doing wrong and know it, than to own up to the truth and what we have done.

What some fail to realize though, is that we all have our breaking points. If you do me dirty once, I may give you another chance. Once more and I'm out like shout.

Respected Contributor

Lying is deception, usually to enhance the perception of the liar or for some other advantage, or so the liar can avoid unpleasant emotions.

My family was stocked with liars who really had problems limiting themselves to reality. A couple of them were world-class confabulists. You simply could  not believe anything they said. They'd lie about things that were easily disproven, like the distance from one place to another. When confronted with the truth, they'd dig in and insist on their lie, get sullen at being caught, or shrug and ignore the correction. Gaslighting on steroids. 

Lying is about manipulating reality, about control. People who lie have little respect for those they lie to. What's even sadder is that they lie to themselves and believe the lies, or at least that's what I've observed.