Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you personally consider lying to be? White lies, embellishing, evading certain details?.

@Styleovertrend 

Why ask a question to which you of course will get varying answers and then applaud everyone who agrees with you and disavow those responses that don't.

You aren't really interested in opinions...well, except your own.

Honored Contributor

Re: What do you personally consider lying to be? White lies, embellishing, evading certain details?.

Lying to spare someone's feelings technically is a lie but not malicious.  Lying instead of admitting a serious wrong, to make yourself seem a better person than you are , to put someone else down to boost your own ego or to excuse yourself for doing something horrible is real lying and there are some who are serial liars!!   I'm sure there is not one person who has not told a white lie and anyone that says so either is lying or not a real joy to be around!!!

Trusted Contributor

Wow! Life hasn't been that black and white for me, probably,since my teens! 

I do not see the virtue of always telling the plain, unvarnished truth, when you know it's going to hurt someone, and the issue, is, in the overall scheme of things, unimportant. 

Let's say we're coworkers, you come in, with a new haircut, that I think is awful. You ask what I think.  If I say, " I don't like it at all, it's really unflattering, I'd go back and see, if they can't do something".  I've broken your happy mood, but, hey, I can pat myself, on the back, I'm Honest. 

On the other hand, if I say, " You have beautiful hair, long or short. This is such a change, I'll have to get used to it, I bet it's going to be fun and easy to take care of".  

Yes I suppose that's a white lie, and I wouldn't hesitate to say it.  

On the other hand, if you asked my opinion, on a work project, and I found it sloppy, poorly done, and not what was actually needed, I'd try to be tactful, but, I'd make my points. I might  hurt your feelings, but, hurt feelings would be kinder, than letting you embarrass yourself, with a very subpar performance.  

Honored Contributor

Not telling the truth and the sins of omission.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Styleovertrend 

Why ask a question to which you of course will get varying answers and then applaud everyone who agrees with you and disavow those responses that don't.

You aren't really interested in opinions...well, except your own.

@magicmoodz   @Styleovertrend 

VERY well stated .... and spot on. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

If a friend asks if I like her dress and it's down right ugly, I certainly won't say that.  I would say I liked her blue dress better or try to find something to comment on that isn't insulting to her look or taste.

There is honest, then there is brutal.

I agree with this.  I would say, "Oh what a pretty shade of blue". Not "That dress looks bad on you."

Every person knows whether their response is meant to deceive for self-benefit or if it is to spare someone's feelings being NEEDLESSLY hurt.

Honored Contributor

@SuhseK wrote:

Wow! Life hasn't been that black and white for me, probably,since my teens! 

I do not see the virtue of always telling the plain, unvarnished truth, when you know it's going to hurt someone, and the issue, is, in the overall scheme of things, unimportant. 

Let's say we're coworkers, you come in, with a new haircut, that I think is awful. You ask what I think.  If I say, " I don't like it at all, it's really unflattering, I'd go back and see, if they can't do something".  I've broken your happy mood, but, hey, I can pat myself, on the back, I'm Honest. 

On the other hand, if I say, " You have beautiful hair, long or short. This is such a change, I'll have to get used to it, I bet it's going to be fun and easy to take care of".  

Yes I suppose that's a white lie, and I wouldn't hesitate to say it.  

On the other hand, if you asked my opinion, on a work project, and I found it sloppy, poorly done, and not what was actually needed, I'd try to be tactful, but, I'd make my points. I might  hurt your feelings, but, hurt feelings would be kinder, than letting you embarrass yourself, with a very subpar performance.  

@SuhseK 

Good example with the new haircut, but it's still not necessarily the "truth".   It's an opinion if you don't like the haircut.  What if their SO loves the new haircut?  Both are opinions.  

iTA that most things aren't that black and white .... iMO, most of life occurs in grey areas.  

Esteemed Contributor

There the white lie of me saying that I weigh 150 pounds, when the reality is I weigh 175, and then there is the lie of denying that I broke a dish, when in reality, I did.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I don't lie about facts, plain and simple.  If we do that we are psychotic, really.

Opinions are another matter.  They can be here, there, and everywhere, depending on mood and culture.

QVC Customer Care