Valued Contributor

What do you personally consider lying to be? White lies, embellishing, evading certain details?...

For me, small lies are lies. Lying to save hurt feeelings is lying. Also, embellishing a story so it contains things that didn't happen is lying as well as leaving out certain details when asked is being deceptive, which I consider lying. I would rather have someone tell me that they don't want to tell me something instead of offering me a lie. 

Honored Contributor

Re: What do you personally consider lying to be? White lies, embellishing, evading certain details?.

I think that some people use the "A lie is a lie and wrong" sentiment to defend hurting people unnecessarily.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you personally consider lying to be? White lies, embellishing, evading certain details?.

A lie is a lie. If you cannot tell me the truth do not say anything at all. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have dearly loved many (too many) wonderful people who have suffered from dementia, and it's ensuing emotional states. 

I have reconciled myself to the fact that "reality" is often both overwhelmingly painful and truly unbearable to them. I no longer hesitate when such a situation arises, and I say whatever I can think of that gives these people peace.

I have also told my own children that should I become tormented by the vagaries of a damaged mind, I encourage them to do exactly the same.

"Brutal truth" is, in my opinion exactly that. Iwon't attempt to amplify my self piety by using it to do harm.

Honored Contributor

I would bet my house on the fact that every single one of you has told a lie at least once in your life and probably many more times. It is often the humane thing to do. It can also act to prevent some potentially dangerous situations or actions.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

@violann I was asking under normal, everyday circumstances. Ones with dementia and/or Alzheimers are special.

Respected Contributor

@Styleovertrend 

So it's okay to tell someone they're fat and ugly instead of saying they look nice? 

Honored Contributor

When occupying a position of public trust, I consider lying to be grounds for dismissal.

Valued Contributor

@suzyQ3 I have and regret those times which is why I don't now.

Respected Contributor

Sure a lie is a lie, but I don't think all lies are created equal.