Honored Contributor

Re: What do you love about your gym

My gym is the best in the world! Everyone would want it. I just have to walk down my hallway and bam I'm in my workout room. Our newly built cottage was built with my love of exercising. I made a specific room with all of my equipment and a tv of course! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

The best things about my health club, our local YMCA, are the people and the classes. I love dance aerobics and attend three classes a week. I used to go to interval aerobics twice a week but my knees told me to do something else, so now I attend strength building classes twice a week, using free weights and doing stretches. When my knees were very bad I went to aerobics in the pool.

The people whom I've met at the Y are great. The dancers get together every month for lunch. We've gone through births, deaths, illnesses, and joys together so the social aspects are as important as the physical benefits. One of the women I've met is an 89 year old Australian. She doesn't get through an entire class and can't exert herself as others do but she's there, she's moving, and she looks terrific. She comes to class perfectly coiffed, dressed, and wearing lovely jewelry. Like me, she used to be a figure skater so we share our love of that sport. I've told her many times she is my idol.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

So far we all agree that a nice atmosphere and friendly people are important...we have all of that and great prices too.The membership is only 15 a month and that includes all classes except boot camps and Trx.We have a big space that is very costly to operate.A previous owner told me that expenses were 10,000 a month and that wasn't including staff costs.

Too inexpensive 

people may not be coming in b/c it looks cheap at that price--may be dirty or bad equipment 

Honored Contributor

The gym is not spotless for sure but no different than any other I have been to.All equipment works and is repaired as needed.We don't have any new machines though so maybe we are missing some popular stuff.We have ellipticals,treadmills,stairclimber exercise bikes,a weight machine circuit,,a heavy weight area,exercise floor for classes etc,saunas and showers.We have great trainers who have turned some people into fabulously fit from not in shape at all.

Respected Contributor

I left my first gym because they only had 2 treadmills and one elliptical and tons of weights yet most women were the ones on the machines. It was a large gym but they missed the mark on not having more treadmills. I joined another gym that has 10 treadmills now so I don't have to wait anymore. They also give free Ice Water out and juices and thick fluffy towels. They have a girl going around spraying down the machine to disinfect them as well. This drew me in. 

New Contributor

Everything!

There is an assortment of weight machines, free weights, cardiio equip, trainers and a juice bar.  The monthly dues are very reasonable and it's open 24/7.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

Ladyroxanne I feel the same as you so that is why I am looking for ways to help the gym.I joined because it had a friendly atmosphere and wasn't too far from my house.

Did you join your gym when they offered a special,were your friends going to that gym or was it just convenience?

i joined because my previous trainer retired, she trained in her home. dh made the appointment with erin and my first time with her was just right.  we just clicked and it has been great ever since.  she does run specials, but it is the convenience and the fact that i like it so much over there that keeps me going back which is a very good thing!  @dex  i hope you find what you are looking for. 

Honored Contributor

The pool. I love water aerobics.  It adds a nice balance to cycle, zumba and yoga.

I was promised that LA Fitness maintains an 82 degree pool.  Depends on the day ;o)

LA Fitness is clean.  There is always someone cleaning.  On Friday morning, I watch the cleaner going up and down the rows, spraying down every machine and then wiping it down and then dusting under it. 

There is always someone cleaning the bathroom.

Whether I go at night or in the morning or on the weekend, there is someone there cleaning.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

I want to see equipment wiped down with disinfectant after every class. And that includes mats. Other than that I want a good workout with members who are courteous and trainers who are knowledgeable. 

=========================================================Funny you mentioned it, but that was my first thought.  How clean and sanitized, if at all.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Well.....it's too crowded and cost a small fortune to join.  Can't think of anything I really like about it.  Maybe the large number of machines.  That's it.