Honored Contributor

What do you love about your gym

I just love everything about mine...the trainers,the people and the classes but unfortunately the gym doesn't have enough members to stay open.I was wondering if we  

are just missing something that attracts new members and so I would like to hear what got you to join your gym and what you love about it.

Respected Contributor

Re: What do you love about your gym

i belong to a gym in my local neighborhood so everyone knows l everyone.  i have a personal trainer who is also the owner and she's very outgoing and i think sets the tone of the atmosphere there.  it's very friendly and people are very helpful.  i really enjoy going and rarely miss.

Honored Contributor

Ladyroxanne I feel the same as you so that is why I am looking for ways to help the gym.I joined because it had a friendly atmosphere and wasn't too far from my house.

Did you join your gym when they offered a special,were your friends going to that gym or was it just convenience?

Honored Contributor

People of all ages are there and not just young people blasting horrible hip hop music all the time.Our Y does not play music at all and everyone , of all ages , is treated with respect. I have had the misfortune of going to a gym where everyone was a teen or 20 something and it was not a good experience for this 66 yr old.

Respected Contributor

I love that my current gym is only half a mile away.  I really have liked the trainers I have worked with, and I like that it stays open even on most holidays (with shortened hours).  And it is squeaky clean.  And the machines work.  (I've belonged to two other gyms where a lot of the equipment was poorly maintained.)

I dislike the music (so I bring my own and my headphones--but if I forget, I am stuck with screechy dance-club stuff).  Sometimes the music is so loud that I can't hear my own stuff even with the volume turned up.  And the friendly-vibe is turned way down low, as this gym has gone through three or four managers in the last year.  I've had five personal trainers b/c they keep quitting.  It's a U-Fit gym, and evidently they make promises that they don't keep to employees.

I definitely joined because it is affordable.

Respected Contributor

I love my local Anytime Fitness. The owner is great, he runs some free kettlebell classes that are popular.They have free video classes as well. We have a running club that goes out on Saturdays.  There are all the usual machines etc. Our trainers are terrific. The clientele is varies from 16 to 96! It depends on when you go. I do early mornings, so it is mostly working or retired people. The kids tend to do late nights. It's a hub in the community and there is something for everyone. The place is spotlessly clean which is a draw too.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

So far we all agree that a nice atmosphere and friendly people are important...we have all of that and great prices too.The membership is only 15 a month and that includes all classes except boot camps and Trx.We have a big space that is very costly to operate.A previous owner told me that expenses were 10,000 a month and that wasn't including staff costs.

Respected Contributor

I want to see equipment wiped down with disinfectant after every class. And that includes mats. Other than that I want a good workout with members who are courteous and trainers who are knowledgeable. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by video classes?Do you pay to participate in the running club?Did you join the gym because your friends were working out there,great prices,or other reasons.I guess I am wondering what draws people in.

Honored Contributor

Smaug so are you saying that you joined your gym because it was clean and friendly?Did you hear about the great workouts from someone?