Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you hate about the holidays?

@handygal2  Same answer, handygal. ^^^^^^^

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Nothing.  I don't hate or dislike anything about the holidays.  The holidays really are whatever you make them.  If you want to suffer through slights and hurts from decades ago, go ahead.  You only hurt yourself.  Certainly when we had young kids and money was tight and I was a sahm, there was stress but I still loved the holidays.  Halloween through New Years, my favorite time of the year.  

Trusted Contributor

Being to exhausted to enjoy the day.

Trusted Contributor

As I get older, I have started to hate the preparation. The shopping, the wrapping, the decorating. It’s hard for me in my condition. Perhaps that’s why. I used to be in to the holidays so much!

If i had the money, I would hire people to decorate my house inside and out. I love to look at decorations though.

The traffic, and going to the malls and stores are terrible. I can just imagine what it’s like now, where we grew up...NY/NJ. And traveling. This year we are traveling to visit my mom. No one else will be there but my husband and I...because she’s ticked everyone else off in the family. I don’t want her to be alone. 

The money. Gifts, travel, food, dog boarding, everything else you have to buy. 

I sound very Grinchy. Sorry.

Honored Contributor

I still like the holidays, but I've become less materialistic. I'm convinced a $20 per person limit on gifts is plenty.  Many of the things I like fall in that price range (candy, wine, towels, bath gels, candle). A big haul of gifts used to please me, but now if my entire haul consisted of the things I listed, I'd be completely happy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

geez...I guess not many "Norman Rockwell" moments that all those commercials lead us to believe!

As for me I hate traveling but in order to be with my family I need to (it's easier for me than for them).

As for actual holidays I don't hate anything - but I am sad I don't have my dad & my other family or friends who have passed that we shared all holidays with.

Life is what you make it everyday not just holidays!  I'm slowly learning this😉

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

If I'm honest (from someone who hasn't worked in 44 years) my friends (who are all retired) say that it's all of the people out on the roads!

Everyone is in such a hurry.  There's quite a difference.

@Annabellethecat66  I agree about crazy drivers..we are retired also, & this is crazy! Last week, 5 days apart we were hit 2 times, by 2 women in a hurry, the first was merging into the lane next to us & clipper our left rear of our car, just a scrape for us & she knocked her right-side mirro off, then yesterday (different car), we were in a city park, for gdaughter's soccer game, a woman BACKS into us (we were just moving slowly, to a parking spot) just a scrape for us, but she broke a tail light..BOTH women said to us..so sorry, I was just running late for...fill in the blanks..☹️

guess we were just lucky, makes me not want to go out anymore! 

Respected Contributor

I hate that last year I spent the holidays without my mother for the first time and that my significant other died suddenly of a stroke last Thanksgiving. And this year I hate that I will be without both of them and now without my best friend who passed today. I wish I could have those loved ones here for the holidays whether I shared their opinion on something or not or whether something they said didn't set right with me. It wouldn't matter; I loved them and would love the holidays with them again.

Valued Contributor

There's really nothing I hate about Christmas. It's my favorite time of year. The only thing I don't really like is missing the fun of being 'that overnight visitor' when I had little ones...who are now big ones. Helping them make their lists, putting out cookies, planning surprises for them. It's still great now but that was a really special time.

Regular Contributor

Everything feels like an obligation -- you must, you should, etc.  I now see why people want to travel on the holidays and get away from it all.  Adult kids that don't get along, in-law kids that don't get along, etc.  I am seriously thinking about having just the grandkids (all teens now) and tell the big kids to stay home.