Honored Contributor

Re: What do you hate about the holidays?

Outside decorations getting stolen...

That happened to us twice. Now we don't put them out anymore...totally sucked the joy right out of it for us.

Esteemed Contributor

@CLHS68 wrote:

To the OP if you are an athiest why does it bother you? You should not be celebrating Christmas because its true meaning is the birth of Jesus. You can believe what you want but so can the rest of us. The people I know of different faiths do not mind the differences at least not around here.

I am an Atheist and I have celebrated Christmas since I knew I was no longer Irish Catholic and before. I grew up in a very religious home but around the time I was 16 or so I know I didn't believe it God. My mother while disappointed thankfully didn't try to force something on me she knew I didn't feel in my heart. She certainly never said I should not be celebrating because she knew it was a custom I grew up with that I enjoyed very much. I enjoyed it because to me while it didn't represent the love of God but the love of my family and friends. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas since I was 24 I have invited those over who were away from their families or had none. I feel it is a time to be around people who love and care about you and sincerely want you there to enjoy the company of others. I have never heard anyone say an Atheist or someone who isn't Christian shouldn't be celebrating. My home for over 20 yrs has been opened to anyone who didn't want to be alone. That is a lot more than I can say about some of the most tyrannically religious people I know. To me that doesn't represent the true meaning of Christmas or Christians at all. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Susan Louise wrote:

Outside decorations getting stolen...

That happened to us twice. Now we don't put them out anymore...totally sucked the joy right out of it for us.

Oh dang, that is low down and dirty. I can imagine it sucked the joy right out of it. What a shame. I am sorry.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Trusted Contributor

Guess you can call me Pollyanna, but I love the holidays....all holidays! Woman Wink

At Christmas I do hate taking down the decorations...put it off as long as possible!

Respected Contributor

Re: What do you about the holidays?

Everything...if your life (money, family, friends) is not great it seems like this time of the year makes it more apparent.  It really seems like money is very important this time of year.  I hear about what people feel they have to spend and I realize that the burden and expectations are just ridiculous.  Giving to people that have so much you cannot think of anything they don't have, seems so silly. I know this lady and her family only buys one present for everyone under 18.  After 18 you become a giver and not a receiver.

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@SharkE wrote:

@AliceBleu wrote:

My mother-in-law.

I know that feeling ! Mine finally died. You just have to wait like 40 yrs.

My husband would leave me home alone and go to her house xmas Eve and xmas day both I'd sit home with TV dinner. She never liked me and turned the rest of them against me, too. I outlived her !

@SharkE

💜

sharke.....I would have left my husband if he did that to me,  the very 1st time...you do not treat your wife that way... I made it clear to my husband the team was he and I....his parents were in line after me and his children....

Honored Contributor

I've hated the holidays ever since my brother and his family were involved in a catastrophic car accident, on their way home from a 'Christmas Reunion'.

It was the first time we all had been together at one time in 10 years. We live in different cities and one lived on the west coast.

My brother didn't survive and his 2 children (6 & 8) had traumatic brain injury, with lifelong effects.

I haven't been able to enjoy the Christmas holidays since and Christmas used to be my favorite holiday, I decorated to the hilt!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

The shopping and obligatory gift giving.  Please...don't get me anything.  And If I get YOU something, don't feel you need to give me something.  I gave it because I thought of you when I saw it...not because I wanted a gift from you.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

@AliceBleu wrote:

My mother-in-law.

I know that feeling ! Mine finally died. You just have to wait like 40 yrs.

My husband would leave me home alone and go to her house xmas Eve and xmas day both I'd sit home with TV dinner. She never liked me and turned the rest of them against me, too. I outlived her !

@SharkEDid he forbid you to go with him or did you choose to stay home?  If "the rest of them" never saw you, how could they like you?  And remember...without her, you wouldn't have your husband.  

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I focus on the holiday activities that I enjoy and let the rest sort itself out. If something doesn’t get done, it’s ok. After some disappointments and unhappy holidays, I no longer place expectations on others, which also reduces my stress. 

Those who have partners and families who share a similar outlook for celebrations are lucky. When one partner loves it all and the other could care less, or worse, fights you at every turn, there is little joy for either one.