Honored Contributor

Re: What do you do with yours? Or what did you do with yours?

I just put them between other pieces of paper and shred. BUT, I have a shredder that also takes CDs/DVDs and credit cards so maybe it can handle it better. I have seen notice of not putting sticky stuff in but I figure it goes ok as long as the backing isn't removed and stuff isn't getting stuck on the blades.

Also, taking care of your shredder is important. They have an oil for this purpose. Fellowes makes one that I use. It's super inexpensive (I got mine at Amazon) and one bottles lasts many years. About every time the basket gets full I oil the blades (or whatever they are called) to keep them in good shape and clean.

There is a kind of narrow, slim basket attached to the back of my Fellowes shredder and the bottle of oil (it's a flat-ish bottle) fits right in there along with my operating manual, etc, so I never lose track of it.

Respected Contributor

On 3/27/2015 hckynut said: OP, my suggestion is to buy a "micro shredder. Strip shredders=32 straight lines cut in document. Most crosscut shredders=300 or so shreads per document(can still be reconstructed).Micro shredder=6,000 shreads per document, pretty much "confetti". You can run labels through a shredder, just wrap somthing around it and the sticky will not have total contact with the blades. Me? I shred every document I discard, and some after shreddingI put into a 25lb bag of dirty cat litter. Don't think many would dig through our shreddings!

Great idea, John. I think I'll steal it from you, LOL. I use litterbox liners that turn into a trash bag when you remove them, so I could easily throw my ripped up papers in there.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Trusted Contributor

Arent there stores like Office Depot or Staples that will shred things for you? Could you save them up and take them there? That would save your shredder and I think they have very small pieces.... good luck.

Frequent Contributor

On 3/27/2015 chickenbutt said:

I just put them between other pieces of paper and shred. BUT, I have a shredder that also takes CDs/DVDs and credit cards so maybe it can handle it better. I have seen notice of not putting sticky stuff in but I figure it goes ok as long as the backing isn't removed and stuff isn't getting stuck on the blades.

Also, taking care of your shredder is important. They have an oil for this purpose. Fellowes makes one that I use. It's super inexpensive (I got mine at Amazon) and one bottles lasts many years. About every time the basket gets full I oil the blades (or whatever they are called) to keep them in good shape and clean.

There is a kind of narrow, slim basket attached to the back of my Fellowes shredder and the bottle of oil (it's a flat-ish bottle) fits right in there along with my operating manual, etc, so I never lose track of it.

Thank you. I do have a fellowes shredder, while I am able to do paper, credit cards, paper clips and staples they do not do adhesive labels, cds or dvds. Why someone would want to shred a paper clip is a mystery to me.

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I cannot imagine a reason to shred a paper clip either. yikes! I have done staples in mine and such. Mine has a specific slot for the hard stuff like disks and cards.

They probably ALL recommend not to put a label with a sticky back through but I've never had problems. I've even taken prescription labels off of rx bottles. What I do, of course, is to attach that to a piece of paper that's going to get shredded and put it between other papers. I believe mine is just a 12 sheet but, as we probably all know, that means little.

Contributor

I shred mine with no problem. As long as the sticky part doesn't come away from the paper part of the label, it is fine.

Respected Contributor

LOL no one NEEDS to shred a paper clip, but if you have stacks and stacks of papers, you don't have to take the time to make sure there aren't any in there.
Trusted Contributor

I have shredded labels and things like that.

What I have done is put it inside an empty regular business-sized envelope first that I was going to shred anyway, and then put the envelope in the shredder. I haven't had a problem doing that. I have a cross-cut shredder.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone for your responses, it has helped a lot.

Esteemed Contributor

I shred everything. But my labels are still attached to the receipt so theyre not sticky. I don't use their labels or any labels.

On magazines I used a black magic marker to scribble our names out. One doesn't need that thing from Q, just use a marker it works better.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles