Honored Contributor

Re: What do you do with your costume jewelry, etc., that you no longer wear?

@Jesse Ann 

I think that's nice that you have found a way to give new life to old, mostly unwanted items!  I don't want to dismantle my items though.  I would like to if possible find a new home for them so that someone would enjoy wearing them and treasure them in their original form.  Thanks for your reply and I think you sound very creative!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

No, I don't go on social media sites but thank you!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, everyone!  I appreciate the replies!  I have always been a jewelry lover and have collected items most of my life.  You've given me some ideas.

In addition to checking with second hand retail shops, I think I may after the holidays check with our local senior center and ask them if they would be interested in a costume  jewelry party of some type.  They could either offer the jewelry items up for free or for a very little charge and use the money for programs for the senior center. I don't know if that is something they would be interested in -- what do you think???

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Chopsmom 

I guess right now I am still too attached to most of it to just let it go and be abused and treated like trash!  I spent a ton of money on all of this stuff also.  If I can't find a good place of two to sell it where people would actually wear it and give it a good second life, then I will just keep it!  

You definitely should keep your pieces if you're attached to them.  

I still have the pieces that have meaning to me even if I may never wear them. 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

Thanks, everyone!  I appreciate the replies!  I have always been a jewelry lover and have collected items most of my life.  You've given me some ideas.

In addition to checking with second hand retail shops, I think I may after the holidays check with our local senior center and ask them if they would be interested in a costume  jewelry party of some type.  They could either offer the jewelry items up for free or for a very little charge and use the money for programs for the senior center. I don't know if that is something they would be interested in -- what do you think???

💯 @AngelPuppy1 ...as I was saying in my first comment to you, I love this idea, as I've seen this done at my mom's assisted living.

And since you want to "keep your items in tact" and "find a home and someone to really enjoy the pieces as is"...the idea of the senior center is the loveliest of ideas, imo. I just remember the ladies, some who don't get out much anymore, but miss seeing pretty things, and shopping in gift shops etc, had so much fun being able to buy something for themselves or for a loved one or a friend in their assisted living...that's what I witnessed when they'd have these "boutiques" at mom's place. Mom, who did get out with me often to shop, but still felt she was able to buy me something at her place...I still have the last little bracelet she bought for me from the boutique they had of beaded jewelry around Valentine's day...she was so happy to surprise me with it. While I have so much of her fine jewelry and gifts she bought over the years, that little bracelet means so much to me. 

There are so many senior centers and assisted livings around, at least in my area...if you like this idea, just check around...often you can shoot them an email or just give a call. Most are responsive...but don't be discouraged if some don't respond...they are all different. I didn't get an answer from just one but the ones that did respond were so happy to get the items I donated. 

Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

Our local animal shelter has a thrift shop.  They sell all kinds of items, and costume jewelry is a big seller for them.  Proceeds go to the care of the animals.  Check and see if any of your local animal shelters/rescues have thrift shops. You could donate your costume jewelry to them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have so much costume jewelry that I no longer wear since retiring.  I mean, I have a lot of i!!.  I would like to keep some, but the majority I will probably never wear again.

I wouldn't mind selling some of it, but have no clue how to do this.  Anyone have experience with selling things on line?  I looked at a couple places and it seems complicated to me. Are there any reputable places you have used?  

Thanks for you input. 

Give it away or throw it away.  I don't think you'll get much money for costume jewelry.  Add it to a garage sale and try to get rid of it that way.  Why bother with taking pics and setting up an online thingy to try to sell cheap jewelry (unless you hand make it?)  Etsy does have jewelry like this that is hand made or something like that.  Maybe you can reach out to someone on Etsy to see if they would be willing to sell the stuff you don't want for a small commission.  Don't expect a lot of $$ from this though @AngelPuppy1 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

My MIL used her costume jewelry for the grandkids to play "dress-up" with along with some of her size 5 heels and old dresses. They had so much fun!

Valued Contributor

I like the idea of a garage sale.  I did that once and a woman came and bought the whole lot. She was a jewelry maker and she was going to disassemble everything to make new jewelry. She was thrilled to get it and I was thrilled to let it go. I know you probably paid a lot for it over the years, but you have to think of depreciation and it's used, etc.  I was happy that it brought her so much joy, plus I got it out of the house and kept it out of the landfill. 

Also, if you have a little one around they'd be happy to have it. I gave a whole jewelry box to my four year old niece one time.  She was obsessed with jewelry then. She wore her necklaces each and every day and fought with her mom because she wanted to sleep with them too. She would pile on those necklaces like Coco Chanel at a runway show and was best dressed at daycare. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Linda0215 wrote:

I like the idea of a garage sale.  I did that once and a woman came and bought the whole lot. She was a jewelry maker and she was going to disassemble everything to make new jewelry. She was thrilled to get it and I was thrilled to let it go. I know you probably paid a lot for it over the years, but you have to think of depreciation and it's used, etc.  I was happy that it brought her so much joy, plus I got it out of the house and kept it out of the landfill. 

Also, if you have a little one around they'd be happy to have it. I gave a whole jewelry box to my four year old niece one time.  She was obsessed with jewelry then. She wore her necklaces each and every day and fought with her mom because she wanted to sleep with them too. She would pile on those necklaces like Coco Chanel at a runway show and was best dressed at daycare. 

@Linda0215Yup!!!  Little girls can appreciate it.  They can share with their friends in school too. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life