Honored Contributor

Re: What do you do with your costume jewelry, etc., that you no longer wear?

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

there are also many sellers/buyers on the the platform "WHATNOT."

@sunshine45  - I've never heard of "What Not".  Can you describe how it works?

@San Antonio Gal 

Whatnot is a live stream platform and marketplace that enables collectors and enthusiasts to connect, buy, and sell verified products. It 

creates a place where avid collectors could come together over shared interests. Whatnot is a marketplace to buy and sell authentic collectible items. Whatnot was founded in 2019, in California.

They aim to enable anyone to turn their passion into a business & bring people together through commerce. A diverse team of technologists, designers, nerds, and creative problem solvers seeking to make a positive community driven marketplace.

You can find anything and everything on there!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

In this area of WV costume jewelry is often donated to local teachers/schools and used as gifts in classroom prize boxes, for craft projects, as well as in the school Santa shop where students can pick out gifts for their family.  

Several of our elder care facilities will accept jewelry items for their residents, as it lifts their spirits to wear necklaces or bracelets.  Some pieces are used in craft projects.  

Honored Contributor

are you a member of a neighborhood facebook group or nextdoor?

you can advertise your jewelry there if you want to give it away for free.

i have done this before also, especially with broken jewelry.

there are a lot of crafters out there they want them for the beads or stones or findings. they repurpose them and make NEW jewelry.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Thank you @sunshine45 .  Interesting!

Frequent Contributor

What I have done with some vintage costume jewelry….like clip on earrings-is…I take the clip part off of the back-and superglue one of those round flat strong magnets in the middle (of where clip once was) (area has to be flat/flattened for easy magnetic adhesion) and then I either use them as magnets or give them away as gifts. Can also do this with brooches and pendants.
My neighbor once gave me a bag of her mom’s costume jewelry and I made some refrigerator magnets out of some of the vintage earrings, broaches, pendants and gave them back to her. Why not enjoy some of your pieces in a different way? I also swap out different jewelry magnets depending on what season it is. Like Christmas brooch magnets on refrigerator (or a file cabinet at the office) during that holiday time etc. The magnets can be found in a craft store or online on Amazon. I also use the magnets that are possibly an eighth of an inch high. Basically, strong enough to hold something onto refrigerator and be glued onto a previous clip earring-without sliding down the refrigerator because not strong enough.
I also LOVE to shop at my local thrift store for jewelry. They have a display case. The Goodwill put costume jewelry in gallon or quart size bags and sells the whole bag. Goodwill customer cannot see what they are getting. Some Goodwills have a tiny amount kept out in a display case. If you donate to a thrift store, just see how they sell their donated jewelry first.
And….the reseller tax rules changed this year-2022, anything over $600 or $650 in sales-seller will be sent a k-1099 and be taxed the same as a business owner (20% tax rate). So, if you want to start reselling your item’s keep that in mind. It was…seller’s could sell anything below $20,500 (or something like that) before they were taxed as a business owner is taxed. So donating or making beautiful magnets is your best bet. I figured…if I was going to donate, might as well have that brooch as a magnet. And people who possibly would not wear your jewelry might enjoy it as a beautiful magnet.
I also use clear rhinestone jewelry in my Christmas (winter) decorations, such as around the neck of a bigger cast iron deer. Or around bases of candles or as garland on miniature/smaller Christmas trees, etc. It simulates ice in a way and catches the light. Hope this helps.🙂💍👑
I wonder if magnets stick to mason jar tops? If so, that’s a way to make a mason jar look better-if someone reading this gives things away in mason jars🤔. Just another thought.
I like quick ideas. That look Very beautiful, elegant, and customized! 🎄🎄
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Never had much costume jewelry, to me most is like tacky dime-store jewelry.  Was never much for necklaces, did not like pearls, etc.  I have worn for more than 35 years a thick, beautiful gold rope necklace that I never remove; remove for cleaning/inspection every couple months.  It has had one clasp repair all these years.  I have gold hoop earrings that I have worn continuously for decades; also wear a diamonique stud since double pierced. The only other jewelry that I wear is mostly gold rings, silver rings, a beautiful sapphire gold cigar-band style pinky ring, and silver and opaque gem bead bracelets; many turquoise bracelet pieces from Jay King collections over the years.  Any "costume-type" jewelry has been given away or donated over the years. I kept one Joan Rivers bee pin.

Honored Contributor

@amyb 

I really love my costume jewelry and I hate to just basically trash it or have people dismantle.  So much of it was purchased at high end department stores.  A lot of it is beaded and made by hand, so it's one of a kind.  I will do some investigating after Christmas, I guess.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Chopsmom 

I guess right now I am still too attached to most of it to just let it go and be abused and treated like trash!  I spent a ton of money on all of this stuff also.  If I can't find a good place of two to sell it where people would actually wear it and give it a good second life, then I will just keep it!  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree 

That was nice that you did!  

In addition to all my department store items and hand beaded items, I have a ton of avon items, etc.  When I was still working, I weeded out a ton of avon items and brought them in an laid them out in our lunch room and told the ladies to help themselves.  They were very happy.  

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD 

That's a nice thought but I doubt they would be interested in my treasures!