Honored Contributor

What do you do with your costume jewelry, etc., that you no longer wear?

I have so much costume jewelry that I no longer wear since retiring.  I mean, I have a lot of i!!.  I would like to keep some, but the majority I will probably never wear again.

I wouldn't mind selling some of it, but have no clue how to do this.  Anyone have experience with selling things on line?  I looked at a couple places and it seems complicated to me. Are there any reputable places you have used?  

Thanks for you input. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you do with your costume jewelry, etc., that you no longer wear?

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I have so much costume jewelry that I no longer wear since retiring.  I mean, I have a lot of i!!.  I would like to keep some, but the majority I will probably never wear again.

I wouldn't mind selling some of it, but have no clue how to do this.  Anyone have experience with selling things on line?  I looked at a couple places and it seems complicated to me. Are there any reputable places you have used?  

Thanks for you input. 

@AngelPuppy1    I took some of my costume jewelry to my local jeweler just to see if anything had value.  Apparently no....and not worth the effort of selling on line.   So...my grandkids got them.  

Honored Contributor

@Mombo1 

I doubt any of my costume jewelry has any real value.  I don't have any children to give it to and other family members have no interest in any of it.  I have one place that is a retail shop I might check with -- not high end --- but after Christmas I may check there and see if they might want any of the items.  It looks like places like ebay and rubylane, etc. sell things like this but it looks complicated and some charge high fees.  Thanks for your reply!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it were me I would bring it to some of my local consignment shops I go to. One of them likes more real or very "fashion costume", known brands like Brighton, etc...as opposed to glitzy, or plastic type. Though, still....they've taken some things I had like that too if they looked funky, & trendy. Many pieces sold.

I saw many Christmas trees on social media this year, where people take pieces of costume jewelry (bought at flea markets, on Ebay etc) and glue gun them to a cardboard tree form and make such pretty jeweled trees.

If you don't care about selling the pieces you could donate maybe to a senior center for crafts like that tree. Or, at my mom's assisted living, occasionally, a boutique owner or someone would have a little "boutique" for shopping at for the ladies (maybe men too for their ladies)...everything was $5.00. In those cases sometimes the items were handmade, beaded etc. But vintage costume after market sale could work too...the ladies really enjoyed those little boutiques. 

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

Same thing with me.  

I sold a couple of my mother's vintage pieces on EBay, but by the time you add shipping,  mailing envelopes, and the fees, it really wasn't worth it.  

I gave a huge bag of jewelry to a friend for her goddaughter.  Now if I have any, I give it to my niece's daughter to play with.  As a matter of fact, she just sent me a pic of her playing dress up in my pearls!

Honored Contributor

I gave much of it away years ago.  I did keep some special pirces.   I invited all the women I know over for drinks and snacks.  I laid it out on my tables and invited them to take what they wanted.  I enjoyed it all over 30 plus years, I wanted others to enjoy a piece or two.  I tossed out what was left.  

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Mombo1 

I doubt any of my costume jewelry has any real value.  I don't have any children to give it to and other family members have no interest in any of it.  I have one place that is a retail shop I might check with -- not high end --- but after Christmas I may check there and see if they might want any of the items.  It looks like places like ebay and rubylane, etc. sell things like this but it looks complicated and some charge high fees.  Thanks for your reply!

@AngelPuppy1  You never know....the retail shop might be interested.  It's worth a try...I only checked with my local jeweler because I have known him for 20 years and I knew he would be honest.  Plus...I didn't want to hassle with people on line.  At least my granddaughters (ages 5, 6, and 9)  can have some fun with what little I have.  Plus they think it's real.  🤗

Super Contributor

One of the first things I did when I retired was to take clothes, shoes, bags, coats to consignment.  Sold alot of costume jewelry, esp Joan Rivers.  No regrets.  

Honored Contributor

You may find this silly on my part but since I'm retired too, I've thought about emailing the women on the local tv station who do the early morning reporting. They are all very stylish and love to finish their daily dressing with their own fashion jewelry pieces. They would love my vast collection of fashion jewelry! ANd they'd look good too!

How fun would that be to share most of what I have with them? I know they'd love it all and I'd be very happy knowing my collection would be much loved. 

Valued Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

You may find this silly on my part but since I'm retired too, I've thought about emailing the women on the local tv station who do the early morning reporting. They are all very stylish and love to finish their daily dressing with their own fashion jewelry pieces. They would love my vast collection of fashion jewelry! ANd they'd look good too!

How fun would that be to share most of what I have with them? I know they'd love it all and I'd be very happy knowing my collection would be much loved. 

That would be so cool to turn on the morning news and see your beautiful pieces on the screen!