Esteemed Contributor

Re: What do you do to stay happy in your marriage?

Avoid getting married in the first place. It’s an outdated concept.

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne Yes, MANY similarities  between us!  

Who a person marries many many years ago  when you are starting out is NOT the same person 40 years later. To stay together you must adjust your thinking as time goes by....go with the flow...and accept the changes.

With my parents that did not happen. After 20years married and three children, my Father slowed down wanted to stay home more ,but, my Mother, who just got her freedom back after raising all of us as a stay at home Mom for years wanted to have fun, go out, have hobbies! She wanted to live life again.  My Dad was not having anything to do with it and ..they fought  a lot about her going out....it was the worse part of my childhood. 

So so they divorced after 20 years.  They grew apart rather than growing together. 

And you you are so right  when you stated:

“one person loves more, one person makes  most of the concessions , one person does more of the care giving.”

Valued Contributor

There's not enough cows in Texas for me to ever get married again.

Honored Contributor

A friend came across this tonight.

No automatic alt text available.

Honored Contributor

@bootsanne wrote:

There's not enough cows in Texas for me to ever get married again.

@bootsanne

Huh?    Not enough cows in Texas ....  ?

Trusted Contributor

My husband sometimes walks through the front door like a hurricane with all his company's problems and issues of the day swirling about. The day's conflicts are fresh in his mind and hashed out while he walks down the hall to change his clothes.  He thinks I know everyone but I know maybe a third of whom he talks about yet I listen and insert my appropriate, how awful or oh no or whatever pops into my head....

When he's in his civilian clothes he's the man I married....sweet, laid back and ready to relax.  Like Groundhog day until his retirement.  

Respected Contributor

I'm not happy, but I just deal with it. Separate  rooms/TV's. Whatever works, I live with it.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Super Contributor

Separate bathrooms, yes, separate bedrooms, no!

Esteemed Contributor

We have a couple of set TV nights to watch our favorite shows together after eating a favorite meal.  We discuss things before making big decisions.  We live within our means so there are no financial burdens.  We know when to push each other, when to encourage each other, when to shut up.  We give each other space yet make a point to spend time with each other a few nights each week. We help each other out. I know I can always count on him and he can always count on me.  There was a country music song  several years ago by Paul Overstreet that pretty much sums us up with the lines, "I come from a long line of love...when the times get hard, we don't give up...forever is in my heart and in my blood..."  Knowing I have someone to be here for me makes me happy.  Guess it doesn't take much to make us truly happy.

Honored Contributor

Married 43 years, married at 20 he was 27, thought he was "prince charming", had kids at 21& 27, worked 25+ years & had great life.

He retired & talked me into "early retirement" and moved because that was his "dream"...he was relentless...I gave in🙄.  

Got here just the 2 of us & realized we have nothing in common!

After years of trying to figure it out ...we came to the conclusion we make great "roommates".  Works for us!