Trusted Contributor

Re: 🏡 What do you do to create “joyous” home environment?🏡

I love to have fresh flowers in the house when it's winter outside...it's an instant smile!  When all the Christmas lights come down, I make sure to leave some white lights up for added cozyness and ambiance on the mantle and along the window sills.  We have both flameless candles and real candles lit in the evenings. The sense of smell is so comforting and pleasing so we often light candles like vanilla or fruit scents.

Music is always nice and brings back wonderful memories...my favorite music is from the '70's.  I love to cook, so whipping up some goodies from time to time, especially during the long, cold winter is an instant mood booster!

Family pictures and pictures of my children always bring joy. 

Lastly, since my husband and I are now empty nesters, our furchildren really make our house a home...can't imagine coming home to an empty house.  The way our lab runs to us like he hasn't seen us in a month is "joyous" with a capital "J"...and our sweet kitties do the same for our souls.  Just by being here in our home, they create all the joy we need! 

Respected Contributor

Our home is forever "joyous" as we have a very large Golden Retriever and a new puppy.

I love to sit by the fire with them beside me.

Being with them is my happy place. Smiley Happy

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

@LTT1

As they say "home is where the heart is".

To me, that means how you make a house into your home.  Lots of natural light, soothing light colors, relax atmosphere & most important our pet kids Smiley Very Happy

It helps to be active (which, admittedly, I haven't been lately.  I need to knock it off & get back on track.) & I think it helps to feel & be more positive with your surroundings.

Honored Contributor

I place my new q mug out, for everyone to see.

Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ

Your  home seems just my style. 

Are you up for tea & biscuits today?  What time?  Smiley Wink

Trusted Contributor

@threecees

Meadow looks so lovely.  Congrats on adopting her.  Pet kids really do help in making a house a home.  They bring so much pleasure (except when they're naughty!)

Esteemed Contributor

Such a good and thoughtful thread.

I think some people could feel less anxious/ stressed, etc. if they worked on their home environments more to focus on including things that bring joy. Does not have to cost much! Can be done on most any budget. Plants, lighting (especially at this time of year!), scent, art and personal framed photos, color and texture all help. Cleaning and decluttering are no cost. Thrift stores are a treasure trove and are presently full of goodies as people watch Netflix Marie Kondo series and part with furnishings and decor items that do not work in their homes, but may well "bring joy" to yours.

I learned years ago as others have mentioned here: no one walks through the door of my home who brings a negative energy. Conversely, a person in need is always welcome and coffee and something to eat are always ready to share.

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I place my new q mug out, for everyone to see.

@missy1 You know the mug goes with everything, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc.

You can dress it up and down for the holidays, You will get SO MANY COMPLIMENTS,

everyone will be talking about it and want one.

Sit with it in front of a fireplace, on your couch, at your table, take many pictures,

show all your friends,Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

Our home is forever "joyous" as we have a very large Golden Retriever and a new puppy.

I love to sit by the fire with them beside me.

Being with them is my happy place. Smiley Happy

@Mersha That sounds nice. Would love to see a picture of your furry friends 

if you can post a picture sometime.Smiley Happy

Contributor

Yes, I certainly did.  I miss so many days, but time moves on....  I wish many blessed days for all of you.   "Lovestoteach" had a great idea for this thread.  I have really enjoyed all of the posts.