Valued Contributor

Re: Sorry, but 40 is still 40, 50 is still 50 and both ages a...

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

@Xivambala  Sorry, but 40 is still 40, 50 is still 50 and both ages are solidly middle age. 

@Buffalogal47:   

Those represent our physical ages only.

Honored Contributor

Re: What do you consider middle age now?

On a scale of 0-100, 50 is middle-aged.  Few people live to 100.  Average life expectancy is 79; obviously many live longer than that but some don't.  At 54, I'm definitely middle-aged, which is fine by me.  I'll live until that glorious day the Lord calls me home .

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would like to think middle age doesn't refer to 1/2 the age when most people are expected to pass away. Few folks make it to 100. Both my parents lived until their early 90's...so I'm 72 and way passed the 45 year mark.

There are some at 50 who never took great care of themselves or unfortunately have had illnesses that make them seem older than their chronological age.

So, my answer is "it depends". If your health is good, you're able to remain somewhat active, you keep your mind engaged...middle age is relative.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Once upon a time, it was 40.   Now I think it's 50 I would think.  No one refers to that anymore that I know of.  What do you say/think it is now?

@qualitygal 

I don’t consider it at all. It isn’t a real term unless a person is dead and I don’t label people. 

Regular Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

Why do Americans have a lower life expectancy than people in other rich countries, despite paying so much more for health care? 

A short summary is that Americans suffer higher death rates from smoking, obesity, homicides, opioid overdoses, suicides, road accidents, and infant deaths. In addition to this, deeper poverty and less access to healthcare mean Americans at lower incomes die at a younger age than poor people in other rich countries.

https://ourworldindata.org/us-life-expectancy-low

More bad news.

Trusted Contributor

I'm hoping it's my current age...........Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

40 is the new 30, 50 is the new 40, and 60 is the new 50....So my answer is 55 to 60.

I will add that there are some people who are 45 and appear to be in there 80's. It seems to have a lot to do with how well one takes care of themselves.

@Xivambala   

Well, that seems a bit high for the "middle age" since most people don't live to 110 to 120.   

@qualitygal 

OP, I think middle age is a range of years, just like childhood or old age.  It's not a single number.

Honored Contributor

Thirty Eight is middle-aged to me.

Senior discounts begin at 55.

Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

Funny, I was trying to find the number of Americans 100 years old or older, and couldn't find a current number, although I've heard it's over 100,000 people.

In 2016, there were 72,000+ at age 100 or higher.

Good to remember that, as the Baby Boomers age, statistics will shift.    

The very first Baby Boomer to reach 65 was back in 2011.   Time marches on.