Honored Contributor

Re: What did Disney expect????

@shoekitty wrote:

A family meber worked Disney here in Ca.  They were one of the top characters.  They are brutal to employees.  I think in the last few years  they have been sued andlost sending characters in heavy costumes in hot sun and storms.  The pay is mediocre for the work and the way they are treated.  The employees come second to the visitors.  They really do cater  to those that visit the park, i will say that!   but the hours are irregular, sporatic,and it is a brutal, authoritarian system with rules at every urn, some good some almost unconstitutional.  It isnt what they present to the public, and the turn overs are  massive. Hey invest a lot into those that play the characters.  They are sent to character school, lol.  The costumes are made to fit .  The employee steps into this laser like booth that digitally measures and draws the pattern to fit to the person wearing tecostume.  Some weigh 50 lbs.  they are beautiful.  Each character gets a locker, and is dressed by a dresser.  They are taught to do own makeup, but they wig people to help.  It is amazing.  They spend tons on each character, and some last less than a hear.  I cant remember, but I think it is a 2 year contract, but stuff happens. Demerits are issued for every costume, speaking, movementinfraction.  Also, stict about minutes spent on each task.  You get so many demerits and they deduct money from check, then you can be fired.  Maybe thats why  disney has bad names given by employees?

Very interesting account @shoekitty . From what I read a lot of the employees are living in their cars with few if any benefits. Very sad.......

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty. I would be interested to know what “unconstitutional” laws they are almost breaking.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

I don't know what Disney expected other than to make money (which is the purpose of any business). I do know that Florida is a state of Service Jobs. I've had some very interesting conversations and unlike where we came from (which was tech, research, government and security based jobs), Florida needs tourists. Disney closing is another major blow to an economy that is being propped up by the military, rich retired folks (judging by the over 55 communities being built around here), a few corporations (who pull employees from out of state which is another topic for discussion) and doctors/lawyers. My heart hurts for all those losing their jobs. That's why we're here now; we both lost our jobs due to COVID. 

It's an interesting place down here; we're just sitting back and watching and waiting.....

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips   Sorry, I was using the word unconsitutional very loosley, I should have used another word. They abuse the rights of workers at times.  Probably like many companies under a poor manager.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekittyI can see where Disney would be extremely strict with their employees who portray characters. They are the face of Disney and what sets them apart from any old amusement park. I do think their conditions have improved though, at least I hope so. The characters who greet guests only stay out for so long and have “handlers” to help them. I don’t know about the characters on the parade routes. My son has nothing to do with the characters, though he sees them occasionally. He told me once it was a shock to go behind the scenes and seeing Snow White smoking a cigarette while on a break!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

An engaged couple DS is friends with from college (they graduated two years before he did) both worked there. One worked as a chef, even though his only experience was as a restaurant server during school) one worked in guest services. I heard a lot of stories about how they were treated, including being called in when they were supposed to be off. They had been there about two years when we went into quarantine. She has to be careful (not exactly sure why, but for a medical situation). He went back first, then they called her back. They told her if she didn't come back she would lose her job. They had already moved in with his father They now both work for Universal. 

Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

From what I understand it is a very demanding and low paying service/hospitality/entertainment job. But if you LOVE Disney and want to be a part of that, it has compensating perks and rewards, like getting park passes and sneak previews and the opportunity to buy unused props. There are retirees who have made it their post-retirement job.

But unfortunately Disney has reduced training and quality overall due to Bob Chapek's cost cutting measures. He just recently restored all the executives' salaries right before firing and laying off the tens of thousands of employees. Many insiders are blaming him for the bulk of Disney's problems.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

An engaged couple DS is friends with from college (they graduated two years before he did) both worked there. One worked as a chef, even though his only experience was as a restaurant server during school) one worked in guest services. I heard a lot of stories about how they were treated, including being called in when they were supposed to be off. They had been there about two years when we went into quarantine. She has to be careful (not exactly sure why, but for a medical situation). He went back first, then they called her back. They told her if she didn't come back she would lose her job. They had already moved in with his father They now both work for Universal. 

Shoekitty said,  knowing people who work, or worked there your statement is totally factual to what I have witness happen to workers there

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

I am not sure what you mean by what did they expect? They just like any business made plans to expect the worse, hope for the best. They were figuring it out in real time just like everyone else who never had to deal with this ever before.

@Nancy Drew   @ellaphant 

I also don't understand the  'what did they expect' ... huh? 

Disney made the best of this disaster.  The company managed to generate some revenue, which means the employees also made some money, and the determined tourists got their summer vacations.

Now, summer is over, and everyone went home.  IMO, it was as much of a win-win as they could possibly achieve.

Mask    Mask    Mask    Mask    Mask