Respected Contributor

Re: What degree of honest are you?

I don't lie because a lie can't change any truth. If it's my opinion I would not deliberately hurt someone,
I would defer to diplomacy.
Super Contributor

I think I'm both 2 and 3. My responses depend on the person and more importantly on the situation. You obviously have to switch from your reply to a 'does this dress look good?' question and a 'was I too harsh with her?' question. I leave the brutally honest part for people I have the least affection for.

Valued Contributor

I would say im honest but not in a blunt rude way. I see honesty as respect. Theres a better way to be honest. You wouldnt lie to your parents or someone you highly respected would you? I feel that the other person deserves better. 

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

To be honest, I have told many a “white lie.”

Never more than when my mother was very ill, in a nursing home, lucid in the morning, then drifting into “sun downing” right after lunch.  More than anything, she wanted to go home.  

So many an afternoon, she would ask “When am I going home?”  The best answer was “When your doctor thinks you are ready.”  It satisfied her.  In a million years I would not have told her she would never go home again.

Another time, she told me she was upset that she hadn’t called her mother recently.  Now my mom was almost 90, and her mother had died many, many years before.  I told her not to worry, that I had called Memere on her behalf.  I later found out a family member decided to tell my mom her mother had died many years earlier.  It turned into a heartbreaking scene, with my mom crying and crying, just beside herself with grief.

I know that was not done with malice; it was just honesty gone too far.  

Trusted Contributor

@MyShadowLove:

My FIL was out of the picture.  He divorced her when my husband was 5 years old, then later remarried and had a family.  My MIL treated my husband in a similar way.  He used to say that up until he was 12, he did no wrong.  After 12 years old, he did nothing right! 

She was a spoiled, self absorbed person.  It was always all about her.

Respected Contributor

always honest....but I try to never hurt feelings or be mean, but if asked my a question I will answer honestly..lol, just this morning  my DIL was getting ready for a dental appt, she aked me, be honest, how do I look? She knows I will be truthful and she appreciates it, I told her the jeans look good, the top, not so much...she changed her top and kissed me goodbye..

Respected Contributor

Number 3 - however, last year my brother's wife, his stepdaughter and daughter (the nieces are 27 and 34) worked on my very last nerve during tax time.  I warned them last year that if the same things happened again this year - off to H&R BLock they go!  I'm beginning to see signs of them "not quite getting the gist" or figuring I didn't really mean it. 

If so, BAM - I got zero problem with number 1!