Honored Contributor

Re: What degree of honest are you?

It depends

I consider time & place.

There is no need to be brutally honest with someone who just learned a painful truth elsewhere.

I strive to be honest, and I also encourage those in my circle to be the same.

Honesty is very important to me.   I don't like phony people, say something to my face & something else behind my back.

I'm not going to be completely honest with someone if it will cause them pain but neither will I lie to them.   I will give the honest truth about stuff that can be easily changed (you are going with that nail polish?)

Honored Contributor

I’m a “Bless Your Heart” type of gal. 

Any Southern Lady would agree.

🌺🌸

Honored Contributor

I think you have to remember, your opinion isn't necessarily the truth, so be careful, with your brutal honesty.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal  I am the third type in your list.  I was brought up to be, and am by nature, diplomatic.  There are three types of "truth" in the world:  my truth, your truth, and the real or ideal truth.

We are on a path during our lives seeking to attain perfection, but few achieve it in one attempt.

Honored Contributor

I am the degree of honest that is appropriate and needed for a situation.

You can't give a single answer to this questions.  Well, let's say my grandmother was brutally honest.  In the worst sense of the word.  I hope I will never be like that. 

Honored Contributor

If I don’t like something that isn’t life or morally threatening then I won’t say negatives that I believe could be hurtful.If a person is happy with their choice then how can I spoil that with my opinion.I guess I am a 3.

Trusted Contributor

I am not a very honest person.  There you have it.  I am being honest about not being very honest.

Now, I do not misrepresent myself, and I don't tell lies on an ongoing basis, and I don't try to deceive people, anyone, especially friends and family.

But I think "honesty" is highly overrated, and I don't believe people who claim to be so honest and claim it is so moral to be honest no matter what.

Sometimes it is kinder to be less than honest and sometimes it is easier on me (and ultimately on others) if I can tell a "small" untruth (lie).

I don't feel badly when I do this.  I used to, because of course, I was brought up as a child to always "tell the truth".  But I'm older now, and I feel I make the right decisions on the issue of truth-telling.  I'd rather be kind than truthful and cause hurt to others.  It just isn't worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

For the most part, I'm a tactfully honest person.  However, there are a few cases where you have to hit somebody over the head.  In those few cases, I'm brutally honest.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I don't lie and I don't fudge.  I don't believe in white lies either.  I am mindful, however, of how I approach another person with my honesty.  Sometimes it's better to keep the truth to myself. 

Regular Contributor

As you may have noticec (Woman Wink I'm pretty honest and say what I think. But my goal in life is NOT to hurt anyone's feelings unnecessarily. If I have something to say that coild be harsh or hurtful, I'd take that person aside and talk to them privately.

Lying is hardly ever a good idea, except in emergencies. Sometimes the truth can do more damage than a lie. The hard part is knowing the difference.