Honored Contributor

What degree of honest are you?

[ Edited ]

Are you brutally honest with no holes barred? or

Honest to a degree, you kindly deliver your opinion or

Honest, but you'd never hurt anyone's feelings?

I'm pretty sure I'm the third one. Adding:  I am honest, I just would weigh how I answer certain people. Kind of 2 & 3 depending on the person.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What degree of honest are you?

It depends on who I'm being honest with.

With close friends and family, I think I am the second one.  I think we'd expect the truth from one another, but there is no reason to be unkind.

If it's someone I don't know very well, then I'd be the third (only if they want my opinion, of course!).

Honored Contributor

I will answer with this, a person is either honest,or they are not.No degree to it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I will answer with this, a person is either honest,or they are not.No degree to it.

I agree, I guess what I'm getting at is how or to what degee do you respond to others in stating your opinion truthfully.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

I believe in being tactful.

When I’m asked for an opinion, I sort of feel around to see exactly how the requester wants my opinion and how they will use the information.

ie: let’s say DD gets her hair colored and I’m not crazy about the outcome. If she asks what I think and if it is obvious that she already has decided she likes it, i will tell her it’s pretty or it is so great to have a change. She is grown.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm probably No. 2 with a little bit of No. 3 thrown in.  LOL

I'm honest, but I wouldn't  intentionally try to hurt anyone's feelings.

Honored Contributor

I guess I am the lone witch who is brutally honest but I will say nothing if I don't have anything nice to say. It's very hard for me to hide how I truly feel if asked.
Honored Contributor

Why do you assume, that if you are diplomatic with others ,it makes you dishonest. There is nothing too kind, or clever ,about deliberately hurting someones feelings or insulting them. It is the entire package, as far as I am concerned

Brutally honest, is something that is practiced, by brutes

Respected Contributor

If you ask my opinion, I will give it and be honest.  I don't volunteer information that would hurt someone or give someone my opinion if they don't ask for it.  

Esteemed Contributor

I usually don’t offer my differing opinion unless asked. Then I’m usually blunt but gentle.The exception is with my DH & son. I don’t wait to be asked. I always let them know what I think.In fact they both say that they can always count on me to tell them the truth.