Super Contributor

Re: What decision would you make?

@Laura14 wrote:

I know I have come to the right place for people with an opinion.  Smiley Happy  A lot of you have been godsends with your points of view in the past so I am coming back to the well.  Heart

Longtime job probably coming to an end in March

Already have credentials and licensure for new career path which is primarily minimum wage and won't go much above it

Probably have ability to start new career locally and remain around small family circle and cheaper living situation but in a high rent area that will force me out once my family is gone

Or I can move cross country to a somewhat familiar small town and start over without any help financially or otherwise

Door #1:  Would you stick close to current home and try and make it work as long as you could with family and finances

OR

Door #2:  Would you take the leap and completely start over somewhere else all by yourself to set up the rest of your own life before you get older and the area gets more expensive?

What say you and your life experiences? 

@Laura14 For me personally, I'd say #2. My life would have turned out much differently if I had just explored my options and done that when I could. Now, I am 40, stuck living in a place (still in my hometown)I don't like with a dead end job and worsening anxiety and depression. I hope to be in a place someday where I can start over and be in a nicer, friendier place on my own with a different job but I am not there right now and would like nothing more than to be there. Best wishes to you on your journey!

I am not superstitious, but I am a little stitious.
Respected Contributor

If it were me, I would move. 

However; before doing so I would first:

Secure full time employment with benefits and sufficient compensation to fully support myself. 

Secure a place to live that I could afford to pay for all on my own.

Make sure that expenses of every day life are within my budget, based on my earnings at the new job. Groceries, auto insurance, entertainment, etc. 

Make sure that there are enough non-work related activities in the town to keep me busy. For example, I live in a mid sized community with one university and two colleges. There's always something going on. Sports, theater, music. Whatever it is that you love to do in your non-working hours, make sure it's there. And then think about who will do those things with you. Are you comfortable going to a movie on your own or will you not venture out without a new circles of pals to do things with. How will you develop that new group of friends outside of work?

I was offered the opportunity to relocate to NYC during the last round of M&A at the company that I spent the bulk of my career with. It was a tremendous opportunity.  But I didn't go. It just wasn't right for me, and I don't regret or second guess my decision. What you do needs to be what's right for you. Just make sure that it is and all will be well. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

If it were me, I would move. 

However; before doing so I would first:

Secure full time employment with benefits and sufficient compensation to fully support myself. 

Secure a place to live that I could afford to pay for all on my own.

Make sure that expenses of every day life are within my budget, based on my earnings at the new job. Groceries, auto insurance, entertainment, etc. 

Make sure that there are enough non-work related activities in the town to keep me busy. For example, I live in a mid sized community with one university and two colleges. There's always something going on. Sports, theater, music. Whatever it is that you love to do in your non-working hours, make sure it's there. And then think about who will do those things with you. Are you comfortable going to a movie on your own or will you not venture out without a new circles of pals to do things with. How will you develop that new group of friends outside of work?

I was offered the opportunity to relocate to NYC during the last round of M&A at the company that I spent the bulk of my career with. It was a tremendous opportunity.  But I didn't go. It just wasn't right for me, and I don't regret or second guess my decision. What you do needs to be what's right for you. Just make sure that it is and all will be well. 

This is excellent advice, and what I tried to do when considering relocation.  When I found that my desires required more income than could obtain, I stayed put.

Honored Contributor

I think moving would be therapeutic for you. If you don't you will always ask yourself--"what if?"

Honored Contributor

@Jamstan Me first, you next!  Smiley Happy